MFZuul tries it: X131e (AMD Arch-Based Edition) -Done-

rufus will work too but etcher is good

2 Likes

well it wont matter cuz I am dumb, cant figure out how to get into the boot menu and set the usb to boot first.

Seems like the SeaBIOS deal is not working, as I canā€™t set it to boot by default. hitting control + L does nothing even after everything I did, neither does ESC which should bring up the boot menu

WITNESS MY INCOMPETENCE

for real though I am confused

1 Like

I dont know anything about stuff that isnt a PC.

1 Like

A laptop is a PC REEEEEEEEEEEEE

but yes, these Chromebooks are weirdā€¦ well I guess I will have to keep looking. Iā€™m sure there is another way to get it on there

locked bootloaders are not PC

2 Likes

truth

Try using an external USB/keyboard. Some alternative firmwares/bioses floating around for Chromebooks arenā€™t exactly fully fleshed out and donā€™t have built-in keyboard support.

Reason: A while back, Google made a big deal wrt. integrating the keyboard controller with the crypto controller so that one could jump in and out of verified/secure/ā€¦/boot process, i.e. in/out developer mode without leaking keys used for user data partition, even when mass storage is broken or removed. If any of that rubbed onto lenovo, chances are the alternative seabios implementation is very bare bones and doesnā€™t have the right drivers or keyboard support for this magical controller (btw opensource but still uncommon), but USB support tends to be more widespread and fairly well understood, so a USB keyboard may work better while youā€™re setting things up.

1 Like

I had read that, may have to try

They do an i3 spin I used for years, and now Iā€™m on Openbox. If Debian had something like that, I might use that.

Ever play around with BunsenLabs? Pretty solid staring place for a decently riceable, minimal desktop based on Debian.

2 Likes

Iā€™d actually forgotten about that. I may wait for Buster before worrying about that, though.

1 Like

I fell asleep in shame, unable to get the boot menu. USB keyboard did not work. Shall bash my head against the wall more today, X131e 2 should get here today.

Perhaps my issue is Intel, and the pure clean power of the red in #2 will help me in my quest to be as kool as @redgek

3 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar with Chromebooks but Iā€™ve been following your thread and was curious about how they boot. I found this video on YouTube with the steps for enabling dev mode and booting from USB, youā€™ve probably done all these steps already but I thought Iā€™d post it on the off chance that thereā€™s something useful in it.

1 Like

Nice, Dave tends to make easy to follow videos!

I am in Dev mode, but the instructions he has are a bit different than what I was following once in the console. Iā€™ll have to try this later today, got an open source conference to go to here in a bit.

Thanks @Shecks!

1 Like

Another thing I just thought of, he mentioned starting the legacy BIOS, which I would assume means that you would need to make sure that the USB boot media also supports booting from legacy BIOS rather than (or as well as) UEFI only.

Iā€™ve seen this before with Fedora installs. Their media supports both legacy and UEFI boot, so thereā€™s usually two entries in the boot selection list e.g

ā€œEFI: Fedora 29ā€
ā€œFedora 29ā€

Is it possible that the Manjaro boot USB is only configured for UEFI boot and that way itā€™s not detected when you hit Control + L ?

EDIT: I just found this on the Manjaro wiki:

Warning:
Not all ISO are isohybrid ! However you can create isohybrid ISO.
If you use very old hardware and rare, may not support isohybrid.
Isohybrid created for UEFI should work with ā€œLegacy modeā€, without support UEFI not will work on UEFI.
Before use USB stick check Bios/UEFI settings, USB should start first.
If isohybrid not working for you with uefi, try create isohybrid for own use without this option.

There are instructions on how to check the ISO and how to make a hybrid ISO, might be worth checking too.

Or try a Fedora install (cosā€™ itā€™s the best distro :smiley: )

1 Like

FTFY. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG!
non_believer
:smiley:

5 Likes

Oh I see you have problem pronouncing the name. Itā€™s not ā€œShunā€ watch this video to get educated :wink:

5 Likes

nonsense

2 Likes

Got Manjaro running on the AMD X131e in 3 seconds, Blue team bad

The AMD X131e had windows on it, so it was ezā€¦fuck Chrome

6 Likes

big ree, this is what I get after leaving home for a day? this is what I get after travelling 500km there and back? people dissing on BLU TEEM

man fuck u

/s

2 Likes