Metriful: Indoor Environment Monitor

I feel like this might be of interest for some of you here.

Temperature, Humidity, Air Quality, Light and Sound sensor using I2C(compatible with Arduino, RPi…). For $39!

@wendell How about adding this to the PoE Raspberries in Your “Building A Better IoT” project?

Kickstarter page

1 Like

Would be great to get one, but arent there already Arduino daughter boards for all this?

If not daughterboards, you can definetly get the sensors.

It sounds expensive.

BME280 gets you the first two, BME680 gets you VOC and CO2 sensor for $6. I’m guessing you could add a light sensor and sound sensor for $10 total. Throw it on an esp32 board and have those sensors talking with your network over wifi, that’s $15.

1 Like

Honestly if there was a kit of sensors that you could plug into Arduino with BT and collect with RDDTool that would make me happy. NAGIOS plugins can appear later.

I guess I could get boards that are compatible with PI or are BT capable.
Then get the code and do all myself. But whyyyyyy

I am 99% sure someone has done that and made the code and config open source.

There’s this thing called home assistant. It was mentioned in the forums before.

There’s also this other project called ESPHome which helps you build home assistant compatible wifi connected sensors, buttons, lights and so on.

There’s already a bunch of hardware out there like lights and smart sockets that use an esp32 chips that can be cross flashed with Tasmota or ESPHome. (see https://templates.blakadder.com/index.html for example)

One can also connect various battery powered Bluetooth or Zigbee things to home assistant. There’s several different projects for that.

You can totally hook all of these together and DIY your own Google Assistant, Alexa, Smart Home from scratch… or you can integrate with those… or not, up to you.

It’s very interesting but to be honest I wouldn’t want to pay for the integration of all of those sensors on a single PCB. Risk mentioned how yu can get everything, board included, for the price of one of those boards.

Also they’re not providing a ready-to-go installer, which makes this project good for already decent DIYers.

My comment it’s not a knock on you, just some considerations regarding the product itself.

1 Like