Metal quest: looking for super-clear “studio” heavy metal

You might like Avatar, they do scream in most songs but generally only to put even more weight behind the last words in a few sentences. The singing is often dynamic and starts instrumental and a soft voice and then they go thru a raspy stage and then lastly the scream you might not like. However i think they do it in a really great way. The song i listed is actually about history but it's not like Sabaton were every song is about history.

Funfact: Avatar only recently got "big" but i remember when i started listening to them 7 years ago or so and had Johannes the lead singer as a substitute teacher :)

See my guidelines #1 and #2.

Drat, I was going to talk about this but forgot!

You might notice one of the songs I posted was by Crimson Glory, which is a bit progressive... the problem with it (and a few other prog bands I've sampled, including Tool and Opeth) is that they vary too much... it honestly seems sort of experimentation (which might seem like a dice roll for finding a good song).

Maybe I just need the right band... at least in other genres there are artists (Like Gorillaz, Talking heads, and David Bowie) that can pull off an impressive sound range yet have a 'style' (mostly with quality, even with vastly different songs you can tell they were written by the same person/people, or at least it isn't out of the ordinary for them).

Or rock in a more general sense, or blues because that's as far back as you can go.

There's so many bands out there, a way to filter out growl/screech and smooth singing (no 'tooth') is almost a requirement to find something relevant. As if my other issues weren't enough.

I've seen that before. Unfortunately since the links are based more on influences (and spatially a bit with eras) rather than core values, some links are hard to see since they don't show up directly (like groove metal I mentioned stumbling across earlier).

The embedded song is alright, but some of their stuff more heavily relies on screaming. Also it's not really my style.

think i sort of get some of what you're describing but.. i would describe it almost the opposite that the metallica and megadeths would be the more cookie cutter/mainstream 'radio metal' if it were

but not really sure how to help lol.. i mean some of the newer 'screamo' whatever stuff is sort of like you described but usually are prepubescent sounding kids and probably more screaming then you want but alot of just singing/not as heavy usually, but also the guitar work etc is bit different where you seem to maybe be wanting more of the classicish like megadeth stuff

so.. something akin to retro games, but for 80-90s mainstream/big4 thrash, where its new bands/new songs but in the same style? but.. not sure what search terms would result in that kind of stuff lol

I said cookie-monster.

K. Thank you for not reading my thread, sorry I have a different taste in music than you.

1 Like

Well to take a stab at thrash,
Modern British Thrash band: Evile

and to plug another British metal band:
Die So Fluid

you listed a few major bands, what's your view on Danzig and Alice in Chains.

I know this is an old thread now, but just wanted to offer up Five Finger Death Punch to the mix. One of my absolute favourites right now. Ivan Moody has a fantastic range in his singing IMO, the band features heavily in my day to day listening. Hope that you don’t dismiss them straight off, best album to listen to is “The wrong side of Heaven, and the Righteous side of Hell” vol 1 and 2 to get a good idea of the range that they cover. Hope that helps :slight_smile:
I am a metalhead from way back, and in my late teens (1988-1991 approx) listened almost exclusively to Megadeth and Metallica, but queensryche and others featured occasionally… my walkman was hardly ever off, and must have gone through a fortune in batteries, lol

Allright brother i hope this floats your boat, if not then dont hate on me.
Theres black label society and Brass against. Brass against does covers of old metal songs giving it a modern sound BUT doing justice to it

Super Necro…