Mesa driver install loop in Mint Update manager

Mint 20 cinnamon 64 bit here:
rx 580 8GB sapphire nitro+ video card

The update manager keeps showing Mesa 20.2~git2008051930.24b80~oibaf~f is ready to intall

I install it and upon reboot or even later upon checking for new updates ( regardless of the amount of time or if I manually click Refresh to do so) it keeps showing that same update is ready for downloading and installing as if My system forgot it has already done this.

glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version” yields " string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.2.0-devel (git-65d23e7 2020-08-04 focal-oibaf-ppa) " ( without quotes obviously)

So it would appear 20.2 IS installed. All my games work perfectly ( warcraft III battle chest retail original two disc set is a different story)

What am I missing or doing wrong here? Please help

As root (use sudo if your system is so configured)
dpkg --configure -a

This should rectify any errors dpkg (the underlying package management tool) has encountered. If it still fails, it’ll give you an error. Post that error, in full, when it does.

1 Like

I did that. The odd thing is…nothing is failing. It’s just that mesa 20.2 keep reappearing in Update Manager as if it was refusing to accept it was already installing into my Mint installation.

** update after doing what you recommended and noticed there is 20.3 mesa update now. Installed that and rebooted**

Now only the grub2 update 2.04-1ubuntu26.2 remains.

Seems it worked imo. Thank ya. Cheers. \m/