Mentioned on the WAN show

I reckon the viewers. They do a lot of testing out of ideas and checking demographics to see what works and what doesn't.

I agree that LTT has become effectively a video Meme that is playing down to children or shoe size level IQs. He is doing it as a business and that model of appealing to the mass market currently appears to be working for him. While the content has been dumbed down significantly, I don't think that is a reflection of Linus himself as he is just attempting to make best use of an opportunity he has identified.

The LTT forum certainly attracts people who are legends in their own lunchtime.

Level 1 is producing more intellectual content that is appealing to adults with IQs significantly larger bigger than the shoe size level which appeals to me significantly more.

Unfortunately, western society seems to be transitioning from one that values individual, intellectual and creative thinking to one of herd thinking and compliance that is managed and defined by the whims of social media with a penchant to attack anyone who does not subscribe to the herd view of the world, regardless of how accurate or in touch with reality. The end result is that the gap between the thinkers and the sheep will widen and the majority will never even notice it happening.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I said as much back in the Tek Syndicate days. He plays to the children and well for a business it works well. He had a huge base of sheeple loving and hating him that are active at least on Youtube.

I love my Wendel, now I am cheating on him because I love to L1T crew too (wink). I think it shows when you look at the patreon that L1 has an older audience or perhaps a more engaged audience because people are willing to put their money where their mouth is here.

I like tech tubers. I like watching to learn something new even more.

1 Like

The GTX 1070 Micron Memory problem and now the Ryzen stuff has demonstrated to me that the majority of techtuber's expertise is not that far past their ability to read from a script.

The forums here, overclock.net, xtremesystems and anandtech are the places where you stand a chance of learning something, particularly if it is one of those journey of discovery type situations like Ryzen is at present

We are here to save them :smiley: and go on other channels and wax poetic about complicated stuff.

3 Likes

He knows his audience and it's working for him. I could say PewDiePie is garbage, but same thing.

1 Like

hahaha,

Need to start calling you J