Return to Level1Techs.com

Memory Slot Dead: more likely cpu or mobo?

ram

I have a dell gx series optiplex sitting here waiting to either be chucked or be made into a firewall. I’ve kept it because I don’t have very many socket 775 machines anymore, and my issue, per title, isn’t that big of a deal overall.

But I am wondering, and hoping, someone has an answer.

One of the ram slots is dead. NBD as it has 4 slots, but it has a pentium 4 slotted in the socket. As I’ve never had this issue before, I’m curious. Which is more likely to burn out? A ram slot, or the memory controller on the processor? Atm I don’t really have a spare processor to drop in offhand, so if its more often the cpu that causes the issue, I’d like to hold on to the machine and drop a core 2 in it later, or a xeon.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Is there some sorta diagnosis tool that you can use to detect hardware issues?

If you have all sticks loaded, does the BIOS notice the sticks?

0 Likes

I’ve tried different kits, different combo’s of kits, 4th slot is not showing up. But the slot itself isn’t damaged, theres no burst caps, etc. I was wondering if the CPU would be damaged, but the cooler has a copper cold plate so its not like it could have over heated. Plus the cooler is MASSIVE.

1 Like

You got a voltmeter? Could it be possible that a cap is dead but not blown?

0 Likes

Unless I had a board schematic I wouldn’t even know where to start looking.

0 Likes

Post a picture, can’t be too hard to spot.

0 Likes

Upon closer inspection of looking under the PSU, where port of the board is covered up, I have spotted one lone popped cap.

Aight, never mind. mobo issue. Trashing it.

2 Likes

Why you no solder a new one on… or see if plain wire would do

0 Likes

hmmmm… maybe. IDK if I have spares

1 Like