Memory ranks and capacity for Ryzen

Hi all,
So I recently upgraded ram to a higher grade kit. F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW specifically.

3200Mhz great timings, probably B-die just because nothing else seems to hit timings like that, but then I forget to factor the dual rank nature of the DIMMs.

So in the X370 Taichi states that it can run at 2667 with dual rank in all slots. However even at 2133Mhz in any configuration other than running it in A1 and A2 can I get the system to either post, or recognize the full 32GB capacity I have.

Nothing in A1 or A2 (using B1 B2) does not post, either stick in A1 or A2 do post, using A1/B1 or A2/B2 post but it reports running in single channel and windows and linux cannot use one of the dimms at all (but recognize that it is there.)

So I’m wondering if this is simply a matter of ram slots going bad, or if dual rank doesn’t work for dual channel on ryzen (or at least x370). And is holding up my server building bullshit because I want to run 64GB ECC, but if I can’t get that capacity then there’s no point using ryzen for the task if it can’t even get 64GBs on a unbuffered non-ECC chips.

from what I’ve heard its the top easiest to run at higher speeds towards the bottom harder to run
2x single rank
2x dual rank
4x single rank
4x dual rank

I may be wrong on this but I think there is no performace difference from 4x single rank and 2x dual rank

it also matters what CPU and what bios version, gennerally newer bios versions will have better memory support

also try setting the command rate to 2T and running 1.4v on ram

That last bit I’ll give a shot. command rate is 1 right now I believe.

If it’s first gen ryzen it’ll have a weaker memory controller, 2nd gen is better, 3rd gen can do 3600 2x dual rank

Fortunately I’ll be ecstatic if I can get 2666 on these ECC modules I have.

Current board is fucked, trying to run dual rank dimms in single channel at 3200 has stability issues. And even with all slots filled it will continue to run in single channel.

So I’ll be getting another board.

A post was split to a new topic: Skype Mic Not Working

Off topic post, new thread created.