I would like some advice on choosing memory for the 3970x. Here’s the tldr questions; I’ll provide more info below for nuanced answers, and thanks in advance for any time you are able to give me:
- Does CAS latency greatly affect CPU performance like frequency does (i.e. CAS 16 vs CAS 17 running at 3600 MHz)?
- Do the secondary timings greatly affect CPU performance like frequency (i.e. is there much difference between 3600 MHz 16-16-16-36 or 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39)
- Will there be a significant difference between 3200 MHz vs 3600 MHz? The only ‘speed’ task I will be doing with this pc is windows gaming in a VM via gpu passthru; (1440p gaming). (btw - NO I am not buying a thread ripper just to do gaming ; I plan on having a lot of VMs running on one machine, windows gaming is the only VM that would probably care about the difference in CPU performance).
- I’m looking to do 128GB of memory, if I buy 2 kits of the same 4x16 (say 3600 MHz 16-16-16-36) will I potentially have problems (vs if I had bought one 8 x 16 kit); i.e. how concerned do I need to be that the memory won’t “match” well since it’s not all one kit.
The specifics of the build are:
- 3970x threadripper
- Asus Zenith II Extreme Alpha MB
- Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4 air cooler
- Corsair 1500W titanium power supply (bought when first came out so first revision)
- Either 8 x 16 GB @ 3600 Ram or 4 x 32 @ 3200
- I plan on running Fedora with VMs for hackintosh, windows, pfsense, NAS, Snort or some such intrusion detection, OpenVPN or Wireguard, etc.