Alright guys, you've all been very helpful to me in the past. I had a very successful gaming PC build a little over a year ago, and now I'm wanting to do a media PC build. I'll dig more into researching some of the must have parts but looking for some expertise on this. Obviously gonna have to put in a strong graphics card and audio. Luckily I already have a good tv and great surround sound to back it up.
Some parts recommendations would be extremely helpful-doesn't need to be super cheap probably could drop around $600 total
Thanks for the time and help
Do you want this to be mainly a streaming box or do you want it to have lots of storage?
Depending on your audio setup, onboard audio may work just fine.
What you need depends a lot on what you want to do with it.
1. If its in your living room it should be very quiet
2. If you want to game youll need an adequate cpu, a strong gpu and at least 4 gb ram. If you want to game in 3d you should probably get an Nvidia card. If you want to game in 4k you will have to get used parts or really crank down your settings in most newer AAA titles.
4. Do you want it to stream games?--> It should have an ethernet port and at least an O.K. CPU.
3. Do you want to hide it?-->Make it small enough.
4. Do you not want to hide it?-->Make it look nice enough for your living room.
5. Do you want it play blurays? thats an additional 40-50$ or so.
6. Do you want it to play TV?
7. How much storage do you need?
8. Do you want to switch it on/off remotely?
9. Is it supposed to be on standby constantly or do you just want to switch it on every time?.
Bluetooth is pretty handy to have.
I highly suggest going through the list of questions Rolling Potatoe posted. It sounds like you want to to have a lightweight gaming center in the living room as well but I'd rather be certain than speculative. A basic media center in my experience doesn't need a whole lot. I was gifted an old Dell Vostro 200 Slim, aside from buying a low profile graphics card to have dvi and hdmi output, it works steller as is with XBMCbuntu and rarely does it ever need to use more than 1.5GB or push the dinky dual core cpu past 50% with 1080.
For starters, I want to say thank you to everyone for being so helpful.
- I'll probably shove 1TB HD in it just like my gaming PC
- I'm thinking I would like to keep it on stand by for quick startup (but an SSD might help with that also)
- I don't need it to play TV
- Bluetooth is an absolute must as well as Blu-ray so that I can put my PS4 back into the office
- another thought I had was to take the MOBO , CPU and GPU out of my gaming PC and upgrade it.
- Those parts are:
BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G + SB850 SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.4GHz
ASUS EAH6770 DC SL/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card