Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Yeah it's been so long hasn't it! I think the "drop" is officially starting next month.

I think I'll get it, I need a new keyboard that can do on board dvorak anyway. Was looking at the wasd code but it's $60 shipping :anguished:

@Big_Al_Tech

1 Like

What would you recommend if somebody is typing on cherry browns na makes mistakes while writing? Would a different switch improve.

I don't know how to feel about this.

1 Like

It really depends on why you are making mistakes. If you're actuating keys that you don't mean to because of how easily the switch is able to be depressed to the actuation point, then try something stiffer like MX Clears or Greens (loud).

2 Likes

Further from @Rustbelt there are heavier than clear tactiles. MX Grey. If you are into soldering then the world is your MX Switch, swap springs and so an.

1 Like

You could always buy stiffer springs and try them out to see if it helps. No soldering required.

Massdrop is selling some right now.

A lot of keyboard, anything production, will not have switch top removal built into the plate. So the only way to swap springs is desoldering the entire switch.

I guess you guys @Zibob didn't saw my post at the beginning of this thread my keyboard has gateron green, mx blues 64 G spring mod and mx green 82 G spring mod. I can do both desolder or just change the spring. The only thing stock are the letter keys and @Klingon00 convinced me i will mod them too with my 82G springs.

1 Like

Nice. I have gateron clears with 80g springs in. Amazing tactile switch with the correct weight for me now, far too soft as stock.

Yeah I only saw the last post you made asking about tactiles that were leading to mistakes.

1 Like

I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard. I was thinking mx browns for quiet tactile feedback. I don't suppose you experts have any good recommendations? Some bonus things I would find useful, in order: Full size, macros, RGB (I would like to select colours for individual keys within certain game profiles,) PBT keycaps.

While I'm not aware of any commercial board that tick all of your boxes, you might want to take a look at a Ducky Shine. That will be full size, RGB, but no macros. You wont really find a lot of boards with RGB lighting coming with PBT caps as shine through PBT caps are pretty uncommon. You can of course replace the Ducky's stock caps with a PBT set. There are some boards with RGB and macros, but I think all of them have a non standard bottom row, which will make replacing the caps difficult.

One thing I wanted to mention is that you should try a few switches before you settle on browns. Most people who are looking at browns, I tell to try clears and that's usually what they end up getting. Despite their popularity, I really think that browns are kind of poor in the tactile department.

Thanks for the advice. PBT caps aren't a big deal for me, just an added potential bonus. I'll see if I can find somewhere to try out different switches.

WASD makes shine-through PBT caps, and I think Tai Hao does as well (might be Vortex).

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set/pbt-104-key-cherry-mx-keycap-set-backlit-doubleshot-black.html

If you find a board you like, but it doesn't have macros, an option might be to get an external macropad. I've seen some from five keys to over twenty.

1 Like

I just went to PC World and Maplin and tried out reds, browns, speeds and Razer's own switches. I honestly don't know which I'd prefer because using a keyboard is not the same as actually using it. I feel like I could have potentially used any of them apart from the reds.

1 Like

If anyone has ordered the Wooting Optical Switch keyboard (www.wooting.nl), you should have an email containing the follow (except with your name instead of mine):

For some reason, my order isn't showing up in their new page for it:

Even though I did order before in April:

Just a heads up for others.

1 Like

I finally bought my first mechanical keyboard and now I believe the hype.

Gigabyte K85

I use a lap desk, a Cougar 550M mouse with a 3M Precision Mousing surface (=extra slick).

As usual, Micro Center got their ad wrong and it does not use CherryMX Reds, they are Kailh red switches. They feel good to a guy coming from a rubber dome Steelseries. Note that I made a shield because the RGB was reflecting on my screen. I have it set to a minimal orange glow to match my case and mouse. The RGB programming sets the whole keyboard, which is fine for me. I wanted white LED's and I hate RGB disco lighting. It can breathe or cycle if you like.

The main reason I avoided mechanical keyboards for so long is I hate the clicky noise. The reds aren't too loud, plus I added clear o-rings. I really like the mushroom pedestal design (easy clean up) and it feels heavy and solid. I'm pretty sure the top is aluminum. One thing I Love is it is tight and small. My old and sticky Steelseries APEX 300 was gigantic with like 27 macro buttons (that I never even tried to use) and 2 inches of plastic beyond that. I'm a sucker for a pretty product and it was ok for a rubber keyboard..

I love my mechanical keyboard and I think the Gigabyte K85 is a good budget choice at $80.

4 Likes

Speaking of o-rings, anyone think adding o-rings to the inside of a switch would be a bad idea? On my keyboard the upstroke is what is loudest, when the sliders impact the top of the switch's case.

EDIT: Crap, I'm not sure if I can pop the switches open without taking apart the entire board :frowning:

1 Like

Waiting patiently for June...

1 Like

Between the Wooting One, and ASRock's ITX AM4 motherboard, I really don't think I can wait patiently on this one.

:cold_sweat: