Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Might try Synco Superlube per:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/a-quieter-model-f-keyboard-how-to-reduce-mod-the-sound-of-your-model-f-keyboard/

1 Like

Got around to taking some pictures of the CTRL High Profile.

So far I am really happy with it, the build quality is great.

5 Likes

I want this one so much, but US$182 is way too steep for me.

2 Likes

The latest model M I got has parts from 3 different keyboards in it and none of them match the model it is, Looks like later this year I will completely tear it down and bolt mod it and maybe mod the case since it is made from 4 keyboards anyways. Looks like a wild mouse eating stapler used it as a den at one point so probably wait until I go to mod it to fully clean it.

Brother proto-topre board came in. Removed from a type writer iirc.

More about it here:

1 Like

100% agreed on the CODE keebs from wasd. It’s a good daily driver, but the pricetag is pretty inflated.

I ended up replacing it with a Vortex VIBE.. It’s still a bit overpriced, but the layers make for a nice compact setup. I like how the numpad becomes the nav section depending on numlock and layers. VERY happy with this keyboard.

2 Likes

So I ended up building this guy with kailh box royals. I clipped and lubed the stabilizers which made a huge difference in the feel and sound of those keys.

I really like it. I had initially put in some mx browns and hated it. For me, a board like this needs a lot of tactility and actuation force, just because of how solid it looks and feels. It doesn’t make sense for the keys to be light.

When the holy pandas come in, I’ll give those a try. I got the hot swap pcb so it won’t be a headache to try out different options.

One note: the rightmost screw that connects the pcb to a standoff was shorting out row 3. I removed it and no more issues.

6 Likes

Nice build, mate. The Box switches have a very nice sound.

2 Likes

No go for me, only have tried blue/red/brown and only like my bluesss

2 Likes

Speaking of hot swap PCB, I’ve had a hard time finding much information on this:
Are there any good hot swap PCBs which are 60% and support split backspace?

want something standard so i can use whatever case i feel like at the time and get some good and thick ones

1 Like

Other than having this one, I don’t know about it. The layout is not adjustable at all. I kind of wish I could have the larger backspace on row one.

The standard pcb has some flexibility in the layout.

Hngggg

4 Likes

Won’t say no but I doubt it. The hotswap have little socket modules attached to the PCB and are not movable I think. So a backspace being center mount with stabiliser would not be changeable on a hotswap board.

There may exist a hot swap 60% that is set up for split backspace.

You can also make a board hotswap compatible using holetights? Or something like that name, sip sockets. That’s how this started and then the built in solutions came along.

Not sure about a middle ground, hot swap board where you mod the backspace with sockets after removing the original one.

This is what my research has indicated, there was announced a board like this from KBD fans a while back but can’t find any info on it and seems like it was never released.

Guess I’ll just get a normal 60% and use it as a switch tester at some point.

Since you said there was at some point a board that had this idea I decided to take a look and I found it.

It was KBDfans like you said, the KBD6X. Saw some posts on MechMarket offering hotswap split backspace PCBs. Looks like a very nice board too.

1 Like

FWIW, the 67 hotswap is split backspace.

1 Like

Finally got around to desoldering my QuickFire Rapid-i and putting Zealios switches in.
62 gram switches in everything except for esc, caps, space, and enter.
Esc has some white linear switch from one of the old zealpc sample packs with a 120g spring instead of whatever it came with.
Caps and enter have 120g springs, space had a 120g spring in this picture but I have since swapped it out with a 78g spring. I wish i had something between 78 and 120 for space but 78g will have to do as 120g was way too much.

I’ve had this completed for a few days and so far I really enjoy these Zealios switches!

3 Likes

Very nice. I am getting the itch for working on a mech again now. I have meant to replace my Filco TKL red switches with something heavy and tactile.

I generally like 100g all over, have it in three boards, linear gat yellows, white tactile gateron (zealios from a short run before zeal caught on) and zilencios all spring swapped up.

I tried 120g but they were just too much for me. I don’t like the odd weighs on the space bar and other either.

Seeing yours really has me wanting to do the Filco now.

I had this board sitting around 20% finished for about 3 years lol.
A few months after getting the parts I knew it was going to be a while before the board was completed so I swapped the enter spring from the board I was using at the time with a 120g spring, so I knew that was going to be fine after using it for so long.
I have a really bad habit of pressing space twice so hopefully the tougher spring will help out with that.

Hopefully I’ll be content with this board for a while haha.

It was fun when I was testing springs, I sent a the guy sprit I ordered from after paying for the 100g springs and asked for a couple of 120g to.test if I might like them. It was a bit cheeky but he was great and sent them in a separate little bag.

After I tried them I knew 100 was the ones for me. But super nice to get to try them.