Yeah, it is an active converter. The older model M’s pre ps/2 use scan codes that require an active converter since they were designed before the ps/2 standard and were meant to be used with terminals.
The Unicomp is a bit lighter, flexes more when pick up to be moved, the keys are a little lighter and higher pitched when pressed. The IBM I have is a little wider than the UNICOMP and has thicker plastic and a thicker steel plate inside so when I rest my hand on it it feels more solid than my wooden desk. I like both but prefer the IBM as the slightly thicker components make it feel more solid/stable, then there is the whole added functionality I have with the Soarer’s Converter.
Since everything I have mapped out is stored in the converter I can just plug this into different computers and keep whatever macros or setups I have, only things that I have set differently atm is Caps Lock is mapped to be Ctrl so I don’t have a Caps Lock on this keyboard, the key to the left of the Left Ctrl key is the Windows/Super key or whatever you want to call it, the key to the right of the small shift key is also a shift key, roughly gives me a normal sized shift key. The rest is pretty much mapped out he same as the UNICOMP except the Num Lock moved left one key.
Basically I got the UNICOMP before I started playing with the Soarer’s converter I made for my IBM terminal 122 key keyboard, then I bought a converter from Orihalcon and turned the converter I made into a Hasu’s converter for my chinese pingmaster.
The UNICOMP mostly it a backup now, it feels and works fine but I usually keep it hooked up to my game server.
As for using the Soarer’s converter, there is a really good reddit post for that. Boils down to needing to use a few programs to capture the scan codes and writing a file to flash to the converter if you want to change anything or if the keyboard for some reason or another is sending the wrong scan code for a key. My keyboard was really bad with that one, everything that wasn’t a number on the numpad was sending the wrong code.
And the reddit post.