Mechanical Keyboard Corner

FlippantFreeFreshwatereel

My favorite. I use them for everything though.

1 Like

Oh yes, nothing stopping you from using Browns for everything heheā€¦ The moment I tried 'em for the first time, it was one of those ā€˜mind blownā€™ momentsā€¦ #seriously

Kludge it with some rubber erasers, or Wendellā€™s poster tack. Or even a towel folded up at the back, will also helps silent it up a bit stopping the sound transfer to the desk.

Iā€™m into MX Blacks now, i really liked browns before, but now they seem to be a little bit too light for my taste. I sure as hell want to try something even harder, but still linear.

2 Likes

Cherry MX dark grey linears might be to your liking. Are like MX blacks but 80g not 60.

Kindof like MX green vs MX blues.

Also Cherry Clears are a heavier tactile switch, though are less common.

1 Like

Dark grey is what I want to try next. Iā€™ve only ever tried reds (which is way too light for my preference) and the keyboard I had last had blacks (but died on me). I think it would be best for my heavy-handedness, but keyboards with dark greys seem to be very few and far between, at least for 75% keyboards with RGB anyway.

Probably going to have to go custom but I suck at soldering. Probably going to have to get someone to make one for me when I get the cash.

I think Varmilo makes some with basically any of the Cherry switches ever. For a while they had Linear greys, not sure if they still do. Can probably find one floating around. Might cost a fair bit though.

2 Likes

You and @bsodmike if you can solder you can side step the switch rarity by taking the switches out and swapping springs for harder ones. You end up with red or black switches but with the stiffness of darg greys or higher.

Packs of springs are available in DIY mech stores online and also come up on massdrop every now and then.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I have for the time being :slight_smile: . I also ordered some larger rubber feet for something a little more permanent. Just gotta wait til Friday :confused: .

1 Like

Had no clue that was a thing lol. Just looked up a quick guide for it too:

Thanks, this really opens up options. So besides the color, is the spring the only difference between linear switches?

Edit: Just one problemā€¦ I like my Arrr Geee Beez and aparently those have to be de-soldered.

1 Like

For linear switches yes, the only difference is stiffness, the colours are just to differentiate.

With tactiles the is a littler bit of slider shape difference, browns have a small tactile bump, clears and light greys have a large tactile bump on their sliders after that it is springs that also make the difference in those.

Clicky are almost all the same, at least from cherry, barring the white switch which is factory lubed to make the click a lot quieter. Other makers clicky switch mechanisms can vary a lot with the likes of Aristotles and Khail BOX click switches.

What board do you have? It is possible that the RGBs are not the normal through the switch housing type with legs soldered into the board but surface mount LEDs on the PCB under the switch. If so you can desolder easily.

Take a cap off and take a pic and put the name of the board in here. Will be pretty easy to work out from there.

I had the Ajazz AK33 but it started doing that thing again where it was inputting random keys really fast, during a game session too, so it had an ā€˜accidentalā€™ fall down the stairs hahaha.

I really want something with the same layout, a 75% keyboard, but havent decided on one yet. Im just being very picky but here are the things that I want:

-75% layout like the AK33
-RGB
-Cherry MX dark grey switches (or something similiar)
-Preferably no border around the keys (again, like the AK33)
-Cool font like the CM Storm keyboards

Looking like I might have to commission someone to make it for me. I wouldnā€™t mind as long as the price is reasonable.

Noob question:

First mechanical keyboard - Gigabyte Force K85 with Kailh reds and O-rings.

If the switches are getting squeaky is it okay to remove the keycaps and lubricate them?
What would I use? Vasoline? The tears of my enemies children?

A new keyboard just ainā€™t gonna happen. it only squeaks sometimes and still works and feels good.
Itā€™s just annoying.

i do believe Iā€™ve found the culprit
As the cherry/kailh switches most likely are not doing any squeaking the o-rings are probably the reason.
Probably just need to clean them. Which is simple enough, was them in warm water with soap or similar.

If you for some reason wanted to also lube the switches you have to take the entire switch apart and use this kind of stuff for it:

It would make the switches a lot smoother, if thatā€™s your thing.

1 Like

In addition to @Cavemanthe0ne which keys squeak? It is perhaps ones with stabilisers? Very easy to lube in that case.

the gaming keys
asdfghjwert

Oh hey look, a topre keyboard that isnā€™t as insanely priced as the HHKB.

Cool?

2 Likes

Yeah they are gonna need to be removed, desoldered, to lube them properly.

I have heard of people doing it in place. Taking the caps off, pressing the switch stem down, bit of lube on a toothpick tip and poked into the slider tracks on the left and right side of the switch. Then press the switches a few to many times to spread the lube around the switch and on to the slider too.

Need to be careful though and use small amounts of lube, donā€™t want it to spread to the contact mechanism and destroy the switch, then you will absolutely have to take them out.

As you guys may be aware, the latest Outemu switch batches are prone to issues and a few days ago i had noticed that my GK2 had an intermittent chatter in the right shift and slash/question mark key, sometimes it would register more than once per activation or wouldnā€™t register at all.
Had a 99% ethyl alcohol bottle on the shelf, poured it right into the problematic switches and waited for it to dry. Guess what, fixed the issue!

1 Like

What keyboard is this? im looking for a tkl and yours looking very cool with those caps!