Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Also lol, no wonder why Gateron based keyboards are so cheap. Can get a box of any of the switches for $100

2 dollars per switch… NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Thats more than Zealios.

Well. The bulk prices are way cheaper thats just the single price. Still interesting to see them as Iirc Corsair is the only one that has them until later this year? iirc

1 Like

Also random find.

Edit.
This is also kindof cool.

1 Like

I was only just looking at those mouse mats.

Everything is a little cheaper on his actual store rather than ebay too, not sure about shipping though. Tempted to get one but Mu desk is a mess and I don’t really need one or have the room to appreciate it. Might be nice on a wall.

If you’re going to hang it, you might as well get a poster instead :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Anyone heard of Maxkey before? The price looks good and the fact it’ll be shipping next month looks great but I’m unsure about their quality.

Damn those look nice but also holy crap $80 is a lot lol.
They are decent component wise though so should be at least good

Yes Mackey are a Chinese based maker of SA profile keycaps previously only available from Signature Plastics. SP’s original SA moulds had a few kerning flaws, the shift key was SHIF T and backspace was BACK SPACE. The latter is less of a problem and is in fact still specifically asked for from SP for certain sets, though the shift flaw was an annoyance and was demanded to be fixed, at some expense the community did so with SP.

After that the moulds were sold to recoup some of the cost and herein Mackey arrive. They bought the original flawed moulds and have since been the only rival to the previously monopolistic Signature Plastics SA sets.

So that is where they are. The flaws still exist in Mackey’s sets and originally that was forgivable as they were far cheaper but I see $80 being bandied about, while still cheaper than SP’s prices not by much any more. They have stated many times over that they would fix the flaws but since they did not make the moulds and I gather do not have the technical knowhow or ability to do so they have not as of yet.

Edit: as per your quality question I forgot about due to getting excited about a little part of specific history I happen to know about for once.

Yeah other than the Shift and backspace this g you have now been made aware of, they are good quality caps, ABS plastic which is not my preference but they are made smooth and shiny from the beginning so no need to worry about the shining over time. They are also good and thick. So yeah pretty nice.

EDIT: See further down for update, apparently this is now fixed on all new sets from Maxkey.

I honestly think $78 is a good deal for a complete set. Usually when you buy custom keycaps from someone like SP, they’ll run you up towards $150+ and ship them a year later. (Seriously, I bought a custom set back in December 2016 and I’m still waiting for them to ship it.)

1 Like

Ah, I that’s kinda a shame about the spacing problem. I wanna support them because I don’t like how SP is monopolizing the market but I’m not sure if it’s worth $80.

A lot of the older SP SA sets had the problem aswell for the first few years. It is not a deal beaker for most but does exist so not a perfect situation. Newer SA sets from SP do not have the issue but are very expensive as you well know.

Up to you really.

I mean. My set of blue keycaps on the WYSE in the OP were only like $55+shipping (which took forever because massdrop but still) for an entire set. Blank but still thick, highend caps. Approaching the $100 or more mark just doesnt seem like a good value at all lol full keyboards are less than that.

then again keycaps, should I choose to get them, for my model F would be EXPENSIVE … But that’s because I have a nearly 40 year old keyboard tho lol

Yeah, those look nice. But if I’m gonna pay over $70 I like the looks of these. Except the ESC key doesn’t really look good with the rest of it IMO.

Now if I could just find a decent dark green/yellow/brown set.

Kinda worries me if my SP keycaps I got almost a year ago are going to be shipped with poor quality. How long ago did they change their molds?

They’re changing the escape and delete caps in this second round.

Are you looking for something like this? Or more yellow?

Actually I’ve tried ones that look a lot like that they have a lower pitch ( chunk ) sound to them.

Little darker green, more like a dark industrial kind of yellow. The brown on those is pretty much what I was thinking.

Yours will be fine, what set were they just out of I terest. They have some good sets.

They were fixed a few years back, for 7bit’s round 5 I think, so at least 3 years now if not more.

Some sets do still use the separated back space as a stylistic thing as that is really up to the designer, like the Amazing Chocolatier set did, long after it had been fixed as that particular one is not odd just separating the “BACK SPACE” as opposed to all together “BACKSPACE”.

I think Massdrop is having a drop of those keysets right now. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-oblotzky-sa-oblivion-custom-keycap-set

I did find these keysets. http://www.ebay.com/itm/108-Keys-DSA-PBT-Perfect-Arc-Spherical-Dye-Sublimated-Cherry-MX-Switch-Keycaps/152623628361?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46086%26meid%3Da6f02227201442cc83b9f519a3974ecd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172726870599&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Maybe you could get this and buy a green modifiers somewhere else. kek