Mechanical Keyboard Corner

There’s a number of Soarer’s converters out there, which is the base of those.
The sleeving is custom though, same as PSU sleeving.

Is that what they are? I honestly thought it was a simple 6 pin connector that are typically used for mics and PSU’s.

Would this be a simple DIY? Because I’m a huge noob when it comes to soldering

Sleeving USB cables are pretty straightforward, as its just one cable. PSUS have a ton lol so bit different. Same basic idea though. Can link info for it in a bit, driving back home from Quakecon atm.

1 Like

How do I coil the cable though?

The coiled cables are an option for the USB cable itself. Or old school cables I.e. my model F have them by default.

Then you can put whatever sleeve you want over it.

1 Like

Mmmmm… Soon™
370ff758110596dfc176c113f6bca0de92b75def_1_720x404

2 Likes

:wink: UPS will be picking up today

1 Like

giphy (1)

2 Likes

Found a website who makes these kind of custom cables. Never heard of these people so I’m not sure if it’s a legit website or not kek.

https://www.winnja.com/custom-sleeved-aviator-cables.html#/length-1ft/heatshrk-black/coil-no_coils

Also Pexxon PC cables for those on the European side.

1 Like

Got this because I thought it was funny.

Turns out it built like a tank…
Got to swap gateron greens into it though, can’t get used browns. Way to light. Got it to replace my CM storm with MX blues. Keycaps feel terrible but that shouldn’t be a problem in about 3-4 more days.

Does that have the hotswappable switches? I have heard good things about those all right, actually a lot of the Glorious stuff is supposed to be quite good. The only thing I do not like about them is the fear or offending people and thus not using the master race name, instead opting for the “safe” Glorious PC Gaming Race name.

Yeah, hot swap switches. You can put Gateron, Cherry, Kailh or what ever clones you want for it in it. Only branding it has is on the bottom of the keyboard. Mostly was sold on being able to just plug new switches strait into it to try them.

1 Like

Nice. I was just taking a look at their website, they are all swappable boards, very nice. A great way to try the switches out. I thoroughly recommend getting Gateron switches of the flavour you like, very smooth. Also a nice way to try spring swapping easily.

1 Like

Was actually looking for a Gateron green keyboard but everything I was finding looked either sketchy or cost about 2-3x what I was willing to pay for a keyboard just to try out. Figured for the price and being able to just snap switches in it was worth trying. That and I wanted to try browns but these actuate way to easy for me, got used to being able to rest my hand on the keys with the Cherry Blues. With these it feels like the second I start to put pressure onto a key it goes and I tend to reflexively double tap when it goes off before I was expecting it to. Kind of amusing when I proof read something and I find words like, realllly, orrr, thee and offf <-- of…

Do you like the tactile compared to the clicky? If so it might be worth trying out harder springs in the browns, a little time consuming but also pretty cheap compared to a new 104 switches. Another thought would be Cherry Clears, a larger detente than Browns but not clicky and harder springs default.

Thought about using clears and will probably order a set for this at some point to give them a try. I like both tactile and clicky switches but usually go for clicky because they feel more crisp when they actuate IMO. On the other hand, the reason I’m trying browns is even with the volume all the way up on my head phones while listening to music I can hear mysself typing and it’s kind of distracting. I tend to try to hammer the keys all the way trough the desk so they are not really any quieter so I’m going to get greens with heavy spring to put in them and o-rings and probably use theose as my main switches.

1 Like

Clicky switches were always too loud for me. When I made my last board i managed to grab a bag of Gateron Clears, basically Zealios but not purple an half the price, before they were taken down again due to disputes between Zeal and Gateron who make the switches for Zeal.

They are Clear clones so heavy detente and I put 100g springs in them. I had intended to add o-rings but have not yet and it has been about a year now. I am also heavy handed with my boards but these seem about right, I still bottom them out but not hard anymore, I have gotten used to them and lightened up just enough. I still might add o-rings though If I find them cheap at some stage. What I need is lube for the stabilisers, they do not fit perfectly so are very tight when the caps are fully pressed on so got stuck unless I pulled the caps up slightly on the keys with stabs, theya re about okay now due to wear but I still want to fix them fully.

I forget who was interested in these earlier in the thread but a wild Silver switch appears lol
AKA Cherry MX Speed switch.

1 Like

Was probably me.

I ended up getting some Kailh Speed Coppers (among others) a little while ago instead.