Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Dump the whole thing in ipa.

I dont have a 100% alcohol will the off the shelf 70% do it or does it have enough gunk to potentially corrode contacts?

Condensed the last year of keeb stuffs into 1 piece.

1 Like

70 should be fine, just dry it roght out like morw than you think you need to, as always when electronics get wet.

It will clean it all out and should like really clean it, like biologically

Should say usually the other remaining % in this case 30% is water. Not a lot and it gets evaporated away with the alcohol so should be fine. But your call

The first draft of my IBM Model F wiki page is in a state good enough for public consumption and is now live! The main focus thus far was to enumerate more variants than both the DT wiki page and the Wikipedia page on Model Fs, as well as go into their collective history in a bit more detail. Next comes improving photos. Enjoy!

In other news, here are some of my latest Model M arrivals!

1986 IBM 3197 Color Display Station Enhanced Keyboard (P/N 1390951, made by IBM UK):

1986 IBM Personal Computer XT Enhanced Keyboard (1390120, IBM US):

1990 IBM Industrial Keyboard (1394958, IBM UK):

1993 Dell-branded Model M (1397651, Lexmark):

2002 IBM Enhanced Keyboard (42H1292, Unicomp):

4 Likes

Keychron boards came in.

Not super happy with the keycaps. I don’t like the finish and the lettering is a bit weird. Any recommendations for replacements?

3 Likes

First thing I do with every Keychron I own is swap out the key caps… Boards are fine if not good for the price but I hate the caps.

I see their q0 in my future

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to get a barebones one but they were out of stock. What is good brand/website for keycaps? I am going to try these Gatron Pro Blues for a bit before I decide if I want to swap the switches as well.

Honestly I get all my caps off aliexpress because I don’t mind clones.

3 Likes

Thick, PBT, Cherry profile…

Personally blank and colour grouped.

1 Like

Ordered two sets of pudding keycaps off of Aliexpress.

1 Like

I love the solid black and white set i got, so glad i did too i have never seen them again.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I am looking to get some switches and key caps.

Hope you can recommend me some stuff:
For switches I am looking for something tactile and silent.
My experience so far is with MX Browns ( yeah I know that today everything is better but back in the day when I bought my keyboard these were the only available switches that I could afford )

I have seen some silenced switches online but I am curious what’s your opinion if anyone has used such switches.

For key caps, my experience is with the ABS ones that came with my kb, so I am open for suggestions.
I would prefer for them to be with transparent letters if possible because I do enjoy them at night but I am open to suggestions.

Zeal Zilent is your summit girl. I have them on one of my boards and oh lawd, no sound, much bump.

This is incredibly taste-dependent. Are you looking for an aesthetic or a feel? For aesthetic, look around on /r/mechanicalkeyboards and share some examples of what you like. For feel, im not the best to help there as ive got very limited experience.

2 Likes

I can totally second the Zeal Zilents. I have then in the black and white board above your post, it was intended for travel and bei g around other people so wanted it to be quieter. They are really nice, like Sarge said, nice and quiet and nice big bump. Very smooth too.

Another very worthy option and might win in my mind thought the feel is really different. Is the Gazzew Boba U4S, big big tactile bump but very round and feels different. I quite like it and dont want to disparage it or do a disservice to them, they feel like the mechanical representation of rubber domes tactile bump, its really nice. All the shape and pressure but none of the rubbery mushyness, like its on rails… Because they are.

For caps I like thick PBT. A lot of mine are blank, i have a few thin sets too and they are not terrible, the one on the silent board is and its fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations guys, unfortunately can’t find a local reseller for Zeal, but found a EU based one for Boba U4S. So the price of the delivery and switches is about the same of just the switches from the Zeal site without including tax for the import or the 45 bucks for shipping :smiley: .

So I will go with Boba first, and if I don’t like them I will check out the Zeal Zilents.

( Btw Boba is a slang for Beans in Bulgarian, so it will be also fun to tell my friends the model of the switches )

About the key caps I am still wondering if I want to go with transparent letters because I kinda enjoyed that on my current keyboard or if I should experiment with some other key caps as nowadays I am way better at touch typing than years ago when I got this kb and was constantly looking at my kb. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah Zeal stuff is I think only on their store (canada), no resellers, its good stuff and they put in a lot of work typically with Gateron to get the moulds and parts just so, you absolutely pay for it and whether you feel it or not is a personal thing. No disapointed by it at all, love the board and switches.

As far as I know Gazzew are Gateron oem too so they also have that buttery smooth feeling and good quality. And yes available a lot cheaper and easiler locally.

For the caps I have been through a lot of them, had the shine through lettering. It is really nice but the keys only came in black and its hard to make the colour combinations with them I like as the lettering or profile might be different between the sets I want to mix.

For a while I Just went blank white PBT and dyed the parts I wanted coloured and also learned the layout because no lettering. Now I am not so fussy. I still much preferr thick PBT but most anytning is fine, for the short time I spend typing it is not such a huge difference one to the next that I really notice a change beyond the initial few seconds, after that its just another keyboard in the sense that the keys are where they should be and feel like keys. Going maybe cylindrical to speherical tops might feel really different but most all of mine are cylindrical top so they all more or less fit my fingers the same.

1 Like

This one looks nice for the price. Now I will only have to wait for them to be available locally to try it out.

1 Like

Since I am big fan of clicky switches, might as well ask 'ere.
Between Kailh navy blue / Jade / Royal, which would be the quiet one? Since I really can’t order much without paying too much ™ taxasion and shipping ™.

1 Like