Mechanical Keyboard Corner

How do you guys clean your keyboard, Had some remodeling on my room my K95 RGB is disgusting used a tooth brush and alcohol, didn't do a great job any suggestions?

Yes unfortunately even a switch tester, while I encourage their use, has the limitation of not knowing what an entire board of the switch is like.

I am not a fan of Browns personally, but I do very much like Clears. The difference is in the size of the tactile bump and the spring weights. Clears are a larger bump, more tactile feedback, and a harder spring so more force required to type.

I find Browns too soft and not tactile enough, very similar to reds in my opinion, the same spring weight as reds and some annoying bumpyness. I much prefer a definite tactile bump on the Clears of Greys or pure linear on Blacks and Greys (yes grey is twice they have two very slightly different shades, I always forget which way round for which switch). Although at this stage all my switches are spring swapped to different weights so I have no direct stock comparison for what I use.

Seriously thinking about this because... Linear Grays are rare, let alone a fully built linear grey keyboard lol

Though I already have MX blacks ... But linear greys are a lot heavier... Hmm.

1 Like

Shame more boards don't allow the switches to be opened without gutting the thing. Looking at mechanicalkeyboards.com the same VA87M, but with blacks, would end up being $54 cheaper and have a much faster shipping time. Put that money towards springs and you'd probably still be saving $30+.

MX greys though lol.
Meh, I just got a nice thing for my WYSE PCE keyboard so it will have full key rollover and such, it has 1991era MX blacks so will probably be using that for the time being.
The above is a want more than anything, would just be nice to have. I'm also not one to take apart keyboards Because anything other than soldering I find annoying lol, especially the little springs.

I'm thinking of getting Corsair Strafe as it comes with textured WASD keys. Think it compares well to Ducky Shine?

Kinda wish the MX Speed switches were available loose. With some different springs I think it would be nice having a keyboard with slightly heavier strokes and reduced travel.

Now I'm thinking about getting this one instead.

1 Like

This was THE board to have for me. Never got one. Originally I wanted a Filco because Filco, they are just the shit. But when I learned about Varmillos coming with linear greys, damn I was annoyed. I had all ready bought the Filco with reds. And zero regrets about it, it is still the one I wanted first and most, the desert island board.

The varmillo was not ISO and Filco was.

Killer to get one now though, I just have custom switches heavier now do no need for this anymore.

@Cavemanthe0ne

For this board you will get Cherry MX switches in your choice of blue, brown, green, gray linear, and white switches.

Linear greys. Looks like your wishes have been answered? Free shipping too, although the ship date is the end of July.

1 Like

Went for it and joined the k-type drop. Agonising over switch choice though, chose https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/halo-clear/ because they sound like heavier browns with I use.

However https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/halo-clear/ do look interesting.

1 Like

I won't buy from massdrop but still lol looks kind of cool

Ducky Shine 6 came in today. Feels really good to type on, however the software for it seems pretty confusing. I'd much rather figure that out than all the function commands though. PBT keycaps feel great!

3 Likes

Slightly rearranged my layout design on my Filco Borderlands board.

2 Likes

Glad you are happy with the Ducky. I haven't check in here in a while so didn't get a chance to respond to your Ducky vs Corsair question. You made the right choice.

Yeah, I shelled out £40 more but it feels so good. I have tried out a friend's Corsair Strafe and I like mine loads more. I think PBT keycaps give the keyboard a more sturdy feel and I feel the tactile feedback more (not sure if this is because PBT or Ducky or placebo).

1 Like

I think the PBT feels better as well. I swapped the caps on my Corsair CMStorm TKL board with some PBT Ducky caps and am happy with the choice.

1 Like

The more I look at smaller keyboards the more I realize that the smallest I could use is the standard 104/108 size keyboard.

That severely limits my chances at making a semi-custom keyboard in the future.

Can't you use a separate numpad for those times when you really need it?

1 Like

No Placebo, PBT is a much better feel. and a solid board underneath not hollow sounding or feeling make a huge impact on the feel of a board.

Why I love my Filco the most, Plain as day but completely solid, Ducky have quite similar build values.

@w.meri You could always try out a smaller board on the cheap like the MagicForce 68. Slightly longer than a standard 60% with separate arrow cluster. Goes for about (30) 40 it turns out, must have really gotten popular, for the non led one which is a tank and can be modded itself to add LEDs if you want to get into modding and learning soldering. That is exactly what i did then went further into custom land.

EDIT: I actually just this minute finished cleaning up the paint in my MiamiForce 68

1 Like