Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Mantistek GK2, it was for sale the day i bought it from China, about a month ago.
The software for the keyboard is very shoddy and was sending unencrypted keylogger data to an Alibaba server, but thankfully all the features on the board itself don’t need the software in order to function.

3 Likes

Holy shit wow. That’s pretty messed up.

Now though I wonder if anyone has written their own software for it, or if everyone just blocks it in fire wall and carries on.

Well, the software itself is optional, all of the functions the software provides can be reproduced by certain key combinations, it even comes with a carton showing all the combinations needed in order to activate some of the features, that’s how i’ve been using mine so far…

1 Like

Zenith with Green Alps
Bit dirty and has yellowing but that can be fixed, otherwise.

So smooth.

3 Likes

Nice.

Finally got a good shot of my AEK II profile and is insane level profile lol.
20171109_213306_HDR

Cant wait for my adapter to show up for it s I can see what it’s like as a daily driver.

Also back on my Space invader light blue (clicky) keyboard for now because the double click is just so nice.
And yes, I’m rocking it bare PCB for now because I haven’t decided what to make the case for it out of yet lol. Perhaps a wood case, or maybe plexiglass.
20171109_214741_HDR

New review of one of the cheap chinese keyboards, makes a lot of good points about the price and quality.

TL;DR: awesome for the price and makes “higher end” brands look questionable because the prices they are at when they arent that different than these “knock off” chinese keyboards.

2 Likes

I would not even call them knick offs. They are legit alternatives.

Some of them I would and do happily recommended over the “higher end” ones because a lot of them are simply not worth what they are asking, while the cheaper ones can be higher quality.

Could not be more pleased with my MagicForce 68 board. Less than $30 and solid aluminium top, super sturdy plastic bottom and a removable cable.

2 Likes

Yep. The only minor downside can be somewhat limited switch choices but at the low prices the chinese keyboards are at you can replace them and still be much less price wise than the Cooler master/Razer/etc boards cost lol.

1 Like

I don’t own any Cherry switches, just Kailh and Frankenstein switches. Oh, and a Topre board.

All of them work perfectly fine for me.

4 Likes

Frankenstein switch?

Usually a combo of switches.
I.e. Zealiostotles
A combo of Zealios and Aristotle switches

Etc
Unless I’m totally wrong but I think thats what that means lol.

Also replacing switches springs with different weight springs also is a similar thing.

1 Like

My dumb friend dropped and stepped on the K400R i used to have for my HTPC, he paid me the price of the keyboard, despite i’m telling him it was an accident. And so i decided to upgrade, instead of picking up another K400R, i picked up an Obins Anne Pro with Gateron browns, i kind of hated the K400R anyways…

2 Likes

Didn’t know that, quite something! I’m pretty new to these devices to be honest, used a rubber dome for too long…

1 Like

That is one of the nicest RGB boards I have seen. Very tidy, it looks quality compared to all the other RGB toys out there.

1 Like

It does look really nice indeed, it even has double-shot keycaps for the price. I bought mine on 11/11 at Aliexpress so i was able to knock a few bucks of the original price (still paid double the price of my spy GK2 lol), hope it gets here soon!

1 Like

Now have my AEK II on USB, is quite nice. Profile takes some getting used to tho lol

20171114_145829_HDR

3 Likes

Speaking of which, does anybody know if the 60% cases from the GH60/Pok3r are compatible with the Anne Pro?
The key and wire positioning indicate that they could be compatible, i would like to put a wooden case on my unit once it arrives…

Apparently they are not compatible but poeple are making some for the Anne Pro specifically.

Found a wood one, it is not cheap… $115

But someone has a modding How To on a wooden poker case from Aliexpress which is cheaper at $75

1 Like

As Caveman said, they’re just an amalgamation of parts.

One of my sets of switches have bits from four different brands.

I got the AK33 about 6 months ago after @Zibob recommended it to me and I love it. Only one problem though. Just yesterday the thing started freaking out and inputting keys at a random and really fast rate. I’ve never spilled anything on it so assumed it was a software issue and after looking up what the problem could be, I tried several proposed “fixes” that only worked temporarily.

Finally got fed up and took it apart but at first everything looked normal, so I just got some 99% isopropyl to clean off the PCB. Well, while I was cleaning it I noticed that somehow the solder had ‘jumped’ between two of the keys to make an intermittent connection which was causing the issue (should’ve took a pic, sorry). I just took a small flat-head screwdriver and scratched it off and now its good to go again.

Still really wonder how that happened though.