Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Recently, I bought an ASUS Rog Flow Z13. It was something I thought was silly when it launched, but as I thought about it, it made more and more sense. My problem with laptops has always been subpar keyboards. This is a difficult area because there are so many important specs when it comes to laptops, that you don’t always get to pick one with a good keyboard.

I took a chance on the Z13, figuring if it was a bad idea, I would return it. That’s where keyboards come in. I initially built an LK67. I wanted something wireless and inexpensive since it would be traveling around with me and could potentially be damaged or stolen. The LK67 fit the task for a while. It was a great size and I couldn’t really ask it for much more… but the mode switch was getting on my nerves. It took almost no force for it to turn on in my bag and kill itself. It may have just been a dud or an easy fix, but I bought the Feker IK75 kit after seeing that the mode switch was on the bottom.

The Feker IK75 stock stabs did not play well with my keycaps, so I purchased a set of snap-in stabs on Amazon. I ordered two different types since I didn’t want to delay the build too long. I’ve never heard of New Fashion Kingdom, but it seemed like the many things that end up on Amazon that are just re-brands. They turned out very nice after some clipping and lubing.

While I was in there, I swapped out the aluminum plate for PC (it comes with the kit). That ended up being a great decision. The PC plate really brings out the tactility of the Anubis switches. I’ll record a sound test a bit later.

Kit: Feker IK75 - Translucent Black
Stabs: New Fashion Kingdom - Krytox on the housings, Dialectical on the wires. Wires were thick and didn’t need much balancing.
Keycaps: GMK Modern Dolch 2 Mist - Many levels of overkill, but they were just sitting in a drawer.
Switches - Anubis - These were lubed and spring swapped by @Deadeye. They are INCREDIBLY tactile. I absolutely love them.
Cable - CableMod Pro Coiled Keyboard Cable (Carbon Grey)

It’s a bit taller than the LK67 since it has an F row, but it ended up being flatter since the feet are collapsible. It fits very nice in my bag. The only other thing I would do is replace the knob. Not because it isn’t good… simply just because. I have no seen any compatible replacements yet. Knob suggestions welcome.

5 Likes

My new model F key caps shipped today. I ordered it in July 2017. Lol

5 Likes

Wanting the QK65- I’ve always wanted the Epoch sound and this seems to get close to it on a budget, and I’m pretty happy with 65%

That sound:

AND ITS VIA!!!

But of course- OUT OF STOCK with no group buy in sight.

What are the specs? I wonder if places like DigiKey are a good solution.

Zoom65 is also unobtanium

This is why I have a Tofu, they keep it stocked.

Why do I do this to myself, watch vids of keebs that are fictional anyhow.

3 Likes

I finished up a project I’ve been working on for the last little while.

I’ve got STL’s and an assembly guide on my github if you want to check one out for yourself.

https://github.com/wizarddata/Ergo-S-1

I talk a little about what the process was like in another thread that I started:

7 Likes

Exactly similar when I stumble upon an interesting keyboard or mouse on Kickstarter, product shows great functionality & build quality and the creator hits the wall of the logistics in mass producing that device so the end result is a very short run production.
I’ve found myself settling on a basic Cherry MX keyboard as buying something off-the-shelf is easier than waiting for a unicorn/vaporware product.

2 Likes

Keychron Q2 is looking like a solid contender.

I really want the QK65 but I’ll probably miss what few group buys that come up.

So enter a 65 with knob, gasket mounting, VIA support, and by a company that can actually keep up with demand.

Sounds to high a pingy out of the gate but with simple mods gets thocky. Still no epoch junior like the qk65 but I need the travel board soon.

1 Like

Whats your use case for the knob? Volume adjustment?

2 Likes

Just an itch aesthetically and yes for volume. I already have a Tofu 65 so the primary thing is having a gasket mount setup, its just a neat add-on to have a knob take the duty of the two ‘vol up’ ‘vol down’ keys and look a little different from the tofu. The keychron has two less keys so it works out perfect to make the knob for volume.

I stayed up late watching a number of review/sound vids. I just don’t like the sound of the Keychron, and I’m googoo gaga over the qk65.

1 Like

11:47

Even with lots of modding that should make it more thocky, its still higher pitched, more clacky.

I want that Epoch “marble” or rounded stones under water type sound like his modded qk65. Darn…

I’ve been looking for 65%ish board but with a function row and split backspace. Hard to find… don’t care about knobs.

1 Like

Knobs seems to have replaced split space bar as the standout feature. Sigh. Function row on a 65% is def just a 75%.

3 Likes

Thanks, I forgot what the breakdown of percentages was. So 75% with a split backspace, no knob.

Yeah, thats definitely a niche.

1 Like

We’ll see fewer niche options as hot swap becomes more ubiquitous. Kind of a shame but soldering a whole board sucks so mixed bag.

Yeah. I’ve been experimenting with plate materials. I can’t imagine I would be doing that if I had to de-solder and re-solder each time.

2 Likes

This is promising as my switches sitting here to be used are Boba U4Ts (tactile represent)

And its not even using PCB foam. I need to figure out were the heck he gets the poly plate from, IMO it + the long stem type switches are dong the heavy lifting on the sound. Add PE foam on the PCB and maybe this can actually sound QK65’ish, or maybe not due to just not having lots of weight…

Edit- oh, keychron sells the poly plate, separate and not as an option with the keeb…

And then a case as this is for travel:

Jeez, plus their shipping it really starts to add up…

2 Likes

This is going to be amazing with the PC plate.

For real. I had all of this in my cart the other day, saw shipping and just X’d it out lol. I have an irrational distaste for shipping charges lol.

2 Likes

Damn, even with an alumn plate the qk65 has the underwater rounded pebble sound- THE sound I want.

4min mark.

Comes with a case too. “Plenty of stock” LOLz.

1 Like