Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Ah, its Zibob’s post!

I’m going to look into this keeb more, I’m going to be on the road a lot for the near future and need a travel keeb- most deff not lunking the Tufo around.

It is a bit hollow sounding if you are used to dense, damped, heavy boards. Easily fixed with some foam if so inclined.

I am still using it as my daily and it is going fine, has soldered in Gateron Brown switches. I prefer more tactile and like a lot of projects, I will eventually swap them but they are fine for now.

Since you came looking, i will say last night i had an odd one, it gave the low battery warning, so I plugged it in, it appeared to be charging, next morning charged light is on so I unplugged it, came home that evening and the low battery was back on, so I plugged it back in and this time I could see the charged light solid but the low battery flashing through it. Kind of odd, i leave my board switched to Bluetooth all the time, I switched it to off and back on fixed it. Just more information.

1 Like

Surprisingly nothing on Google about this- but i assume no VIA support? How do you like the stock firmware? Does it have macro options?

No VIA that I know of, and i dont think it has any reprogramability. Only macros aee the built in ones for the bluetooth and such.

It is a very stock board, just nice for on the move. I like being able to customise but rarely do alter the layouts. I like it.

Yeah it seem to be an asia only type thing.

1 Like

This looks like it could be a nice travel board. All the right keys for me. I too am VIA snob now.

Looking at pulling the trigger on a Dactyl build… thinking the Redox Manuform: Redox Manuform by Fosk_LL - Thingiverse

Found a bunch of low profile cherry MX reds from a german site. I want to use the low profile keycaps too. Hopefully everything fits inside the little rebates in the 3d print.

5 Likes

I’m keeping an eye on this one

I want to get into QMK and a wireless keyboard for my framework laptop so this thing is front and center.

3 Likes

1986 IBM PC/XT Model M Enhanced Keyboard (P/N 1390120)!

2 Likes

Have you seen this? I think it looks ugly. And for the price I would buy a QMK/VIA one instead.

1 Like

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of Logitech keebs. I love their mice though.

Wow that is expensive for mass market, comparitive to the price and what else you can get for that, crap.

I like the idea, I LOVE that it has ISO, but dont like floating keys style and they look.particularly fragile being thin too.

Nice idea, but no.

Recently, I bought an ASUS Rog Flow Z13. It was something I thought was silly when it launched, but as I thought about it, it made more and more sense. My problem with laptops has always been subpar keyboards. This is a difficult area because there are so many important specs when it comes to laptops, that you don’t always get to pick one with a good keyboard.

I took a chance on the Z13, figuring if it was a bad idea, I would return it. That’s where keyboards come in. I initially built an LK67. I wanted something wireless and inexpensive since it would be traveling around with me and could potentially be damaged or stolen. The LK67 fit the task for a while. It was a great size and I couldn’t really ask it for much more… but the mode switch was getting on my nerves. It took almost no force for it to turn on in my bag and kill itself. It may have just been a dud or an easy fix, but I bought the Feker IK75 kit after seeing that the mode switch was on the bottom.

The Feker IK75 stock stabs did not play well with my keycaps, so I purchased a set of snap-in stabs on Amazon. I ordered two different types since I didn’t want to delay the build too long. I’ve never heard of New Fashion Kingdom, but it seemed like the many things that end up on Amazon that are just re-brands. They turned out very nice after some clipping and lubing.

While I was in there, I swapped out the aluminum plate for PC (it comes with the kit). That ended up being a great decision. The PC plate really brings out the tactility of the Anubis switches. I’ll record a sound test a bit later.

Kit: Feker IK75 - Translucent Black
Stabs: New Fashion Kingdom - Krytox on the housings, Dialectical on the wires. Wires were thick and didn’t need much balancing.
Keycaps: GMK Modern Dolch 2 Mist - Many levels of overkill, but they were just sitting in a drawer.
Switches - Anubis - These were lubed and spring swapped by @Deadeye. They are INCREDIBLY tactile. I absolutely love them.
Cable - CableMod Pro Coiled Keyboard Cable (Carbon Grey)

It’s a bit taller than the LK67 since it has an F row, but it ended up being flatter since the feet are collapsible. It fits very nice in my bag. The only other thing I would do is replace the knob. Not because it isn’t good… simply just because. I have no seen any compatible replacements yet. Knob suggestions welcome.

5 Likes

My new model F key caps shipped today. I ordered it in July 2017. Lol

5 Likes

Wanting the QK65- I’ve always wanted the Epoch sound and this seems to get close to it on a budget, and I’m pretty happy with 65%

That sound:

AND ITS VIA!!!

But of course- OUT OF STOCK with no group buy in sight.

What are the specs? I wonder if places like DigiKey are a good solution.

Zoom65 is also unobtanium

This is why I have a Tofu, they keep it stocked.

Why do I do this to myself, watch vids of keebs that are fictional anyhow.

3 Likes

I finished up a project I’ve been working on for the last little while.

I’ve got STL’s and an assembly guide on my github if you want to check one out for yourself.

https://github.com/wizarddata/Ergo-S-1

I talk a little about what the process was like in another thread that I started:

7 Likes

Exactly similar when I stumble upon an interesting keyboard or mouse on Kickstarter, product shows great functionality & build quality and the creator hits the wall of the logistics in mass producing that device so the end result is a very short run production.
I’ve found myself settling on a basic Cherry MX keyboard as buying something off-the-shelf is easier than waiting for a unicorn/vaporware product.

2 Likes

Keychron Q2 is looking like a solid contender.

I really want the QK65 but I’ll probably miss what few group buys that come up.

So enter a 65 with knob, gasket mounting, VIA support, and by a company that can actually keep up with demand.

Sounds to high a pingy out of the gate but with simple mods gets thocky. Still no epoch junior like the qk65 but I need the travel board soon.

1 Like

Whats your use case for the knob? Volume adjustment?

2 Likes