Mechanical Keyboard Corner

PTFE aerosol those puppies for a nice and quiet spring.

Not a different spring. But something you could try with the springs you already have

1 Like

Inhibits corrosion, so when you are using your keyboard in a chemical plant with corrosive fumes floating through the office…

1 Like

Do people really do that?

I see… stainless steel is probably fine then, unless the switchmod lube I got is going to corrode it…

Is there a highly prized spring type/manufacturer or just get any with the weighting I want?

1 Like

Operation delube/relube is go.

Yuck. It’s on the tactile bumps as well. Was trying to brush it off with a detail brush and rubbing alcohol but the lube overwhelmed the brush. Put 5 full disassembled switches in the dishwasher minus the springs which I’m replacing anyway.

Dishwasher failed. It got most of the lube off of the stems, but wasn’t able to get it out of the housings. I continued with the brush method. Most of them aren’t as bad as the one pictured above, and some are completely dry already. I cleaned all of the stems with cotton swabs and did about half of the housings over maybe 2.5 hours while idly watching tv. Will finish sometime this week before my screw-in stabs, lube and new springs to arrive.

1 Like

Is this just a belated cruel April Fools joke? Is this real//finally?

I briefly had a super clean and bolt modded SSK that I regret selling ~5 years ago, and have wanted another without paying $400+ for one…

Switches have been cleaned and lubed properly. Added heavier springs as well. Made final decisions on layout, all that’s left is to solder.

Went with oblivion V2 monochrome with vim keys. Looks pretty good but I think I’d prefer gmk monochromatic if it ever comes back.

My first custom board is there behind it.

4 Likes

Looks sick. I love the 1800 style layouts.

1 Like

I’m really happy to have a numpad again. The only missing keys on the board are right super, numlock and pause. If I do find that I need either numlock or pause, I’ll probably swap out the divide and multiply keys.

1 Like

Ah yes you went with the 2u Enter on the numpad. I went all 1u on my numpad, so have room for a dedicated NumLock.

It is a bit different over all layout but still in the 1800 band.

That layout is totally garbage and you should send that keyboard to me so I can dispose of it.

/s if it wasn’t obvious.

2 Likes

The idea of using the different SA profiles to home your top right keys is clever. Why reverse the page up/down home/end though? And why is your left control short?

Also, why would I take advice from a brown-switch user? /s

4 Likes

Ackchyually, they are Kailh Speed Copper switches.

The different profile keys are actually because that’s what the set came as.

Delete is above backspace because because they are similar and I use the delete key frequently, being lower than the surrounding keys helps find it by touch. Home key is at the end because I use it a lot and it’s easy to find there.

The LCTRL and Sushi (macro) key are actually the correct size, I just fucked up and soldered the switches in the wrong spots on the PCB so LALT doesn’t fit. The LALT keycap is sitting on my table at home.

Why end before home?

Because in everything there is no real end and no real beginning, everything is a continuous circle of transformation, a cycle stretching into eternity.

I just liked the look of ↓↑↓↑↓↑, it flows nicely.

5 Likes

That is one nice thing about the oblivion set, I got R1 and R2 of all those. Although, what I kind of wanted to do is replace the numpad enter with page up/down, but I don’t have an R4 page up :frowning:

Kids those days… What do they know about keyboards :30yoadubs:

2 Likes

So noble still working point of sale at your age.

1 Like

Hand built, custom firmware written in python from the ground up.

5 Likes

I ordered some films from Kebo and USPS tracking said they were out for delivery (NYC). Now it says they were just scanned in San Francisco and delivery date unknown…

9 Likes