Mechanical hard drives hardly worth buying

Oh, that’s sweet!

1 Like

$150 for 1TB.

1 Like

Ehh, that’s not bad, but that’s what SSDs are retailing for now.

2 Likes

Most tape media runs at a constant speed controlled by pinch rollers on either side of the recording head. The motors on the reels operate at variable speeds.

I don’t think that’s true any more since LTO-5. There is LTFS and there is software to make individual file access easier. You still have to wait for the spooling to the right position though.

Ah, yeah, LTFS is a thing, but it wears the tape down. Last I checked tapes are only good for so many reads.

2 Likes

I paid $254 US for 2x 1TB 860 evos on the weekend…

1 Like

Mechanical hard drives are worth getting still as they have the better price per TB ratio and generally they are reliable. Right now though I want to scream as I think I have a 3 TB Seagate hard drive that is dead. It still very likely could be under warranty but not sure. Anyway had to tell my son he may need to buy himself some new storage. He is 18 and has money and so he can replace his own pc hardware. Funny thing is an old Western Digital hard drive is still kicking as the main drive. It is 250 GB or something and is a Black. The thing though can’t be performing like it originally did. It seems sluggish. Anyway thinking of telling my son to get an SSD just because everything he wants to do now with a pc would be ok on even one of the cheapest SSDs.

1 Like

Pull the serial number with crystaldiskmark and you can check it on the Seagate website.

1 Like

I’m not sure about America, but in Australia the price still makes hard drives comparable. When mechanical drives are $60 (AUD) for a 1000 gigs, SSD’s are at least $200, and hybrids are $90. The best option for me has always been a raid array with harddrives to get good performance/redundency for the price.

Personally I have no reason to purchase hybrids, the extra $30 is not worth the essentially 1 gig (or whatever it is) of SSD cache. I might as well dump a bit more and put a SSD cache on my raid array.

I think hybrids are rather stupid tbh, I have a friend who showed me benchmarks of them and claimed they had SSD performance all the time. Not realizing the benchmarks used less storage then the cache and were setup in such a way that the hard drive would only use the cache.

1 Like

It’s closer to 20GB now, but okay. If you’re not doing write-intensive operations, it’s very much worth it.

I’ve seen them in use, real world, and they’re wonderful. If you can’t afford SSD, get hybrid.

2 Likes

I’ve started building a personal kvm/virtualization system and have been doing price/dollar calculations.

I want to start out with at least 8TB of storage on my array. I’ve found that I can buy 3, 4TB NAS drives from Microcenter for $122.99 each, which would give me 8TB storage plus 4tb parity for $369.

I can get 1TB SSD for about ~$130 each online, but then I would need so many for my array that I wouldn’t have enough ports or places to stash them all in my case and the total price for 8TB (not including parity) would be over $1000.

Alternatively, I can get 4TB SSD for about $890 each. I could buy 3 of those for an arm and a leg…

Better yet, I can just buy the 3 NAS Hard Drives and a couple of 1TB SSD’s for use as a cache drive (plus cache pairty array) and have the best of both worlds. Price and performance. Total of about ~$629

For a personal gaming rig, SSD is a clear winner. For larger storage arrays, I just don’t see the viability unless money is no object.

Out of curiosity, what was the benchmark tool you used?

Pretty sure that was gnome-disks

if you think a RAID array is in any way comparable to an SSD you clearly haven’t owned an SSD.

these days you can stream stuff easily, there’s less need to throw big dollars at huge amounts of storage and SSD is so much faster.

2 TB or so is a huge amount of storage for the average person and that’s under 300 dollars now in SSD.

unless you’re a very much niche user or just a stick in the mud who hates change, or as per some opinions in this thread, still holding on to reliability stats from when OCZ was new about 9-10 years ago, buying hard drives doesn’t make sense any more.

VM storage is one niche. But even there, all flash arrays are getting amazing compression rates now. my purestorage box for example is currently getting 10:1 compression rate, much better than previous disk based arrays.

and with disk based arrays you end up needing so many spindles.- capacity isn’t the issue, IOPs are. And hard drives just don’t have enough.

even a home VM box. run more than 1-2 VMs doing any actual work on a hard drive and performance is just so bad its unbearable. this is why my home gaming/vm/workstation box is all SSD now.

That sounds really interesting, could you explain?

I wonder if the OpenSSD project has anything about that kind of modification.

12TB HDD costs 450€, 12TB SSD costs what? 8900€?

Sure, SSDs outscaled HDDs in density, but at 2,000% the cost, that is in the “Special data center needs”-category.

For normal people 250GB SSD for OS+Storage are enough.
For anyone taking photos as a hobby or doing anything video related, going all SSD is too expensive.

2 Likes

In the case of pure storage they’ve basically written their own controllers in software to handle disk redundancy. DirectFlash is the marketing name for the tech:

https://blog.purestorage.com/directflash-enabling-software-and-flash-to-speak-directly/

2 Likes

If you need 12 TB? Sure. You’re one of those “niche” users i mention above.

Most people simply do not.

Put it this way: 2 TB of SSD today costs less than 2 TB of spinning disks the last time i bought spinning disk for my NAS.

Also, i can get 12 TB of SSD in 1 TB SATA drives for approximately $1500-1800. Not $9k euro.

Don’t believe me? 12 of these suckers. Or 6 of the 2 TB model if you are short on SATA ports. They’re not shitty SSDs, either.

If you’re doing video or photos as a serious hobby, you’ve probably spent that much on a lens or a camera, easily… and if you’re working with video, working from SSD will improve your experience massively.

2tb HGST drives are less than $50 new. I bought 7 new ones for right at $300 USD.

Disks are still king of density for now.

Link for sauce

3 Likes