Me vs Aquaponics

With any amount of luck my bathtub should be showing up this week ( supposedly tomorrow or Tuesday ) so then i can start putting together a base for it to sit on, taking pics of stuff, and planning the erection of the flood tray and plan what plumbing kit im going to need...

2 Likes

I think you told me this before but can't remember..But from your description I assume you are doing a Deep Water Culture..Also what do you think of the other types/style of systems??

Edit:I plan on doing a media filled flood and drain system because of the reported low cost of them and minimal maintenance..
Hmm maybe I should ask @Mora How many types of systems have you had, or just the one for 7 years..

1 Like

I was going to start with a Reciprocating system ( flood and drain ) but i may also have a look around and see what would be good to grow via deep-water-raft as well... since this would help with providing shaded areas for the fish....

Im also looking to ( once the basic system rigged up ) set up a "trickle tower" mainly for strawberry's as apparently strawberry in particular under-perform in typical Flood and Drain systems, but grow really really well with a constant slow trickle of water...

There are alot of different methods for this sort of project, and many many different hybrids of systems... i think each have advantages and disadvatages but part of the fun of a project like this is finding the method that best suits the plants you want and/or the fish your looking to grow...

1 Like

Sounds like you are talking about a NFT(Nutrient Film Technique) for the strawberries..I have been half-ass researching Aquaponics for years..
I may make that small system if my buddy will come and get his old Hi fi system out of my room..I don't use it or anything..I let him live here when he had no place to go, and he started pulling stuff out of his storage and I was like no this is not a permanent situation..
It is something like this..

It would free up some space in my room..

I almost start a Mycology thread a while back..But I would like to have some success before I start posting stuff about it..I have had some contamination issues..But I have had full colonization on most my spawn(only a few got contaminated) but then got contamination during substrate colonization..

Damn, yea, those things take up some space.... you be fine with a little shelf system in there after you get rid of that thing hahaha

I seem to remember @kreestuh mentioning a possible Mycology thread ...

Yea, NFT sounds about right... not big on the technical terms at the moment, or even alot of the different methods, only been researching the idea for about 6 months now lol

That would be sweet..I have just been burying my failures in the back yard as close to my spring as I can get before it just turns to rocks..So they will probably come up next year on their own in the wild..
I live in an almost Ideal spot for them humid and moist all the time, except for summer..Stuck in between to large hills down in a valley..

Oh yeah I started researching about them while in the hospital and during day long treatments for years..when I could focus on it..

Lovely thread. I've been wanting to get into hydro and aquaponics. Also want to share lil somethin: There's sort of a "flaw" in my home that whenever it rains, because my house is built facing to a 90 degree "hill", a pond forms between the wall of my room and uhh... the patio/hill, and then it fills (Or rather, used to fill) my room with water (Living the 3rd world tho haha) my electronics got screwed one time my room got flooded... So I want to make use of this "flaw" and use the filtered rainwater to do it, as the filtered water has a more balanced pH than what comes out of my water line. Still WIP but already tested some fish and plant viability on the filtered water. Tho' my cat ate them :/

My house flooded a little last year during a couple of large rains..It can suck..Just glad that all of my exterior wall electrical sockets are at least four foot high..Because my house is half cinder block..Also my foundation slab is at least 8"-10" high..
I would probably end up digging a large hole in my yard if I was you to extend life of you pond during the dry times..

1 Like

@Dr-Shade Here a Few Video that you might find interesting

A 200L Chop and flip system.

IBC Chop and flip

@Dr-Shade heres a Bell Siphone DIY guide

1 Like

You might want to look at this on MPI/DOC

http://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/interacting-with-freshwater-species/freshwater-fish-farming-and-aquaponics/
I
http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Commercial/Aquaculture/Land-based+Aquaculture/List+of+Species.htm

I the future I plan to build something like this but with a more permanent green house since the green house plastic on this will not last as long as glass or acrylic or some type of plastic sheets..

I'm in the states..
Edit: and technically on Indian land I think my road is the county line and I am on the reservation or reserve side..Or at least I some maps call it a reserve others don't say shit..But at the entrance of my dead end road it has a sign about local law and Indian marshals have a cooperation agreement..So I am even a little more free than some other in the US..

1 Like

@Dr-Shade and I are in NZ.
We have strict rules here in NZ of what you can and can't do, with the fish and the water they are/have been in.

I figured you where were in the sates where you replied about the price of the IBC

This guy has a basement Aquaponices System.

Check my edit if you missed it..lol

Oh and I can get those drums down the road for $15 or less..

Something people may want to look at..

1 Like

Yea they are bout $14 here (Auckland)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/containers-bins-trolleys/other/auction-1200726908.htm

I forgot this crazy guy did this..

2 Likes

Ye... It hasnt rained in a while, south AZ/north mexico weather is kinda rough this time of the year, but It usually rains and snows a lil bit on January (nuff to fill the pond). The concrete container I build inside my room is empty right now. I'm doing some improvements to keep my cats away the fish and the plants, before the rain comes. Also got 2 100kg bags of perlite and some lettuce & weed rootings set to play around.