McAfee bought Tunnelbear

Press F to pay your respects.

In 6 months it will be a complete fucking bloatware piece of trash requiring the installation of anti-virus and firewall components to let the VPN work all the while sending billions of telemetry records back to the motherland.

8 Likes

We’ll see if Linus gets dropped or drops them as a sponsor. Or maybe his paychecks just go up instead.

4 Likes

Linus isn’t the only user… its actually pretty good, well, was.

It’s a perfectly fine VPN service that charges way above the going rate because they have a truly fantastic marketing department and brand.

4 Likes

Is “Virtual Security” a pun or oxymoron?

Yes.

5chars

I didn’t say he was.

It’s just the only format with which I am familiar with Tunnel Bear.

I never really thought about it before, but congress carving up the internet like a Thanksgiving turkey, into new and exciting sales territories, should consolidate security companies. We desperately require secure optical quantum networking, and the first affordable devices are only now coming on the market. Makes me wish I knew more on the subject, because there is no reason such a device cannot be free ware and open source hardware, manufactured dirt cheap. If we could accomplish that one goal, it would literally force the corporations and governments to, at least, stop being so brazen. The minute the news got out that people were buying them, the manufacturers would be compelled to put them in every computer. Physicists can be creative, and I’m sure someone will come up with a cheap way to encrypt data that defies all but the latest supercomputers, but its really hardware that you need to keep costs down.

And when the companies are all under the same umbrella makes it MUCH easier to get them to do what you want and hand over the data that you want without the silly ass Constitutional rights getting in the way. Interesting thing with this deal is its a Canadian company.

Canada is the outer suburbs of the US. We let them run most of their own business, so long as they play along. Last year or so, they signed an agreement to provide us with water if necessary, due to the west becoming one big desert. Makes it look better when they eventually turn the tap on, that they promised to do this decades ago. Holding a gun to their head is not good for business. After all, they’re our closest neighbors.

And McAfee was bought by Intel for 7 billion $.

Numerous years ago… and Intel spun off McAfee nearly 1 1/2 years ago.

McAfee is a brand name, like McDonalds, but the idea they have anything substantial to sell anyone is a joke in bad taste. That is, the idea they have anything substantial other than data on their customers to sell, is a joke in bad taste.

Obligatory video.

6 Likes

Well yeah its kinda sadd but happens pretty often.
But there are plenty of alternatives arround to go with.
In the end its just a matter of who you trust and who you dont.
But TB has never really been that appealing to me.

I always picked up from their advertising that it was mainly a “look like you’re in another country” sort of VPN and not one aimed at privacy.

Yeah that is just marketing nonsense that most commercial vpn services use to sell their products.
But its kinda nonsense, a vpn doesnt make you really anonymous on the internet.

There’s an atheist who sells pet insurance to people who believe in the rapture. He’ll take care of your dog or cat if God lifts you up into heaven when Jesus returns. I’ve sometimes thought about selling them life insurance, but Americans have stunted senses of humor if you start asking for real money.

So now we’ll have tunnelbear on all kinds of consumer PCs?

Next Linus Video:

‘This video is brought to by the Mcafee suite, now with tunnelbear!’

Sure, why not? VPNs have grown much more popular recently for obvious reasons, and improving market penetration is great. I use my VPN very frequently, as do the various family members that share my account.