Mastodon: not the band, but a free, open-source decentralized Twitter alternative

Didn't know Tusky had that issue. The dev will probably fix it soon. Seeing the massive increase in users Mastodon has had over the past few days. The devs are really active at the moment. I am using Amaroq (iOS). Seems to login fine no matter what instance I use.

Mastodon is growing so fast that the "flagship" instance (mastodon.social) has closed registration. Luckily there are enough other good instances. That's the beauty of federation right there.

Yeah, I just installed Tusky (I'm on octodon.social) and it works fine. Might have to do with server capabilities.

That's actually my biggest issue with it. At first glance, a higher than 140 character limit seems nice, but it will take away what makes Twitter special (at least for me). The reason why Twitter is popular is for the short posts. People can quickly read over it and know what to expect, if they want to know more, they can click a link. If the posts get longer, people will skip it while thinking "TL;DR" in their head.

The only time when this limit becomes annoying is when you want to tag a lot of people who are part of the conversation, since their usernames take up a lot of the 140 characters, but Twitter fixed that very recently, so you will now have all the 140 chars for your reply.*

* Except for 3rd-party clients like Tweetbot who happily took my 10 bucks but still didn't even implement polls, let alone this new replying-system.

Another thing which some people bring up all the time is the ability to edit tweets. Apart from breaking backwards compatibility (or at least usability) for older clients, it's simply not necessary for 140 character long posts. Most people want this editing feature within 60s after posting, but I still wonder why they don't just delete the post and post it again correctly.

2 Likes

the thing i like about this is that it still works as a whole. you can join whatever service you want and still have access to every other user that are on different services

Why this over GNU Social?

To answer my own question.

Fully interoperable with GNU social and any OStatus platform

I am also wondering whether the 500 char limit is a positive or negative aspect. Over the past few days that I have been using Mastodon I must say that the experience of reading your timeline can sometimes be tiring. It feels a lot harder to just quickly scan your timeline with such long "toots" in between.

This is indeed truly great. The feeling of not being a product but actually a person is fantastic. A person that can even create its own instance on the "social network". Heck, it's open source so you can even contribute to the project and "put your own mark".

1 Like

I looked at the documentation to get a feel for what Mastodon is trying to achieve, and it looks pretty ok. I can see why the Tweetdeck look, privacy, longer character limit, etc. and no Nazis policy are drawing people in.
I really hope federated social media catches on, because everyone can have their own space on the internet, and set their own rules about what's allowed and what isn't. If you want to post something that isn't allowed, go to a different provider who allows it, and it won't even prevent people on other instances from seeing it, and without burdening other instance maintainers with hosting content they don't agree with/could get them in legal trouble depending on where they are in the world.

It is growing at an impressive rate.
The userbase has doubled over the last week.

that's about the size that diaspora got iirc.

The german wikipedia page says diaspora currently has around 667.000 user accounts.

according to their same data source there's less than 100k that have used it in the last 6 months.

Well, ok. That tells a story of course. But there are no numbers on mastodons side like that for obvious reasons. So the pure metric of "how many accounts exist" is a better base for comparison, I think.

not for anything social it isn't

you gonna buy an mmo based on storefront sales numbers or the number of people still playing?

are you headed to a bar based on people you know that have been to a bar over the lifetime of it's business, or the people there now?

Whatever, you wanted to compare. So do what you want. I don't care.

Mastodon is growing.
End of story.

"Growing"

source?

LOL, 2014.... xD

same as the german wikipedia article.

Note that the number is massively inflated because it includes all gnu-social compatible nodes.

You cited it first.

Lesson learned yet?

Yeah, you can't read.

I wasn't saying that that was mastodon. I never said that was mastadon. I was saying that's the projected path of mastodon.

It's the same thing as diaspora. It's gonna follow the same trajectory.

But sure, I'm the one that can't read.