Mastering JS

Okay, so I'm starting to feel confident in using JavaScript right now, I'm not saying I'm so good that I could write something that could blow your minds. But like the other day, I was asked to develop some complex AJAX thing, mostly worked on just JavaScript, as you may have guessed, but it also involved some backend stuff, some basic queries more than anything. He asked me to do it because he couldn't do it and because apparently I'm the best in the group when it comes to JavaScript, which I find hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm trying to develop my javascript skills even further again, because everything I'm given to do in work is just a doddle, it'll take me very little time to get my work done, and actually do it properly too. I don't like doing crappy hacks, just because that's asking for trouble, I've tried it before, it's easier to do it right the first time! :joy: .... I'm sure most developers have tried the easy route...

So, can anyone think of something that's fairly complex, something that I could do to test my JavaScript skills? It's weird, because I feel like I've gone from a total newbie to being somewhat competent in next to no time. I'm not a master, not by any means, but I'd like to be and I'd like to make that a long term plan, master JS and front end dev. I enjoy back end dev, but I find that once it's working, it's not as rewarding.

1 Like

Node.js

@Argon you need to desperately watch this then.

1 Like

I would, but my home network, the speed is so slow, I genuinely can’t load any videos, not from YouTube, not from anywhere… It’s f$!king foul…

dude, just download the audio if need be. 144p makes the stuff load. Please look at it, its very important if you want to be relevant with JS.

1 Like

Well. Do something simple, like a " replacement widget". But use ES2015 with webpack, publish on github, ad CI (probably via Travis) with unit tests, make it into an NPM package.

Then hand it of to someone for full code-review.

These thing should give you some direction for further improvements.

1 Like