Massive FPS loss after doing a cable tuck on my pc

SPECS:
CPU: FX-9590 (factory clocked turbo core disabled)
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC 2.0 x2 (SLI)
MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 (2x8gb)
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
SSD:Samsung EVO 850 EVO (Boot)
HDD: WD Black 1TB
Hope that covers the hardware explanation.

Anyway I've run this since march with no major issues only when i first built it wires were a bit of a mess, was just happy to get it rolling.
Fast forward to today i decided to tuck away all wires, boot up fine and ran D3. Previously I clocked 250~ FPS (1080) 180~ FPS (2kDSR) and 115~ (4kDSR) those are all average and in combat so a decent amount of stuff going on for those averages. After the cable tuck I am getting 110~ FPS in combat in both 1080 and 2k with drops down to about 40fps. Everything has been reseated and cleaned, no errors aside from brain dead moments where i forgot something when I put everything back together.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

The best way to diagnose is to monitor what your hardware is doing. Perseonally, I use RivaTuner (RTSS), which is bundled with MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision X. You can have it display a plethora of information in the OSD (On-Screen Display) - way more than just FPS: GPU clocks, temps, mem clocks, utilization, CPU temps, utilization, etc.

If anything seems off (i.e. GPU usage isn't 100% or something of that nature), it should give some indication of what's wrong.

I'd double check the BIOS config to make sure everything is running at proper speeds, and run some OCCT paying close attention to clocks, voltages, and thermals. Something else it could be is a loose supplemental CPU power connector, especially on 4+4 connectors. The CPU should run if only one is connected, but with a reduced power setting, thus lower speeds.

I also noticed SLI - are your profiles configured properly (i.e. is the game using both cards, or just one)?

It's run in SLI, I'll try the tuner as nothing else appears to be out of place. AI suite has a decent overview of whats going through the hardware side (heat/voltage)

This happened to me once, except my computer was chugging through EVERYTHING. Ran a HW monitor, saw that my CPU temp was soaring. Checked inside my case... One tiny wire for the CPU fan had gotten caught and was stopping the fan completely. Always check the simple stuff first! I was about to start reinstalling shit.

2 Likes

Temps are fine, all connections have been checked and no fans are covered. after messing with precision x I noticed my gpu's were at 25-40% when i go into a smaller area they go to full speed and i get my normal 250-400fps and 95-100%.

You did put the sli bridge back on didnt you.......

yes, the comp will boot in selective start up without it, as said before all connections SLI included are secure.

This sounds like a CPU bottleneck . . . Try to benchmark the CPU and compare it to older results (before you rewired it).

I've gone through everything, got witcher 3 and put it on max settings at 2k. no stuttering or hitching. I dont think d3 is going to cause more issues than witcher 3 on the hardware side, read more on this and nvidia appears to have issues with the way d3 runs shit. drop only occurs in open areas. rifts etc seem to be just fine.