Mass effect Andromeda

lol, game allows now Thread.MaxProcessorCount 16 instead of that 6 for which it was locked with both FX-8370 & 1700

Default was 5 and it wanted 1, I could get it to work with 6 by changing that minfreeprocessorcount to 0

Defaults are even with this patch

Thread.ProcessorCount -1
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 5
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 1

Old

Thread.ProcessorCount 16
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 6
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0

New patch

Thread.ProcessorCount 16
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 16
3 Likes

Still dont know what exactly "Thread.JobThreadPriority" does but I did just placebo it to 16 since there was no difference

Then I dont have infinite patience to test what happens if "5 & 1" are changed to -1 because it'd require actually looking some graphs

1 Like

Did load save before architect and had 1440p 70fps with my 1700 & Fury, settings: Ultra with HBAO, and Shader quality set to low because that taxed harder than HBAO -> HBAO FULL, maybe more than SSAO -> HBAO FULL, and basically what it adds slight reflection to ships ceiling

During launch gameplay think I had 40-45fps with FX cpu and audio crashed during fight which basically halted everything and it started to skip beat while doing 30fps or something like that

Shame I cant give better comparison

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Do you add these commands to your EXE or to your user.cfg file? My ME:A happens to ignore user.cfg for some reason, even though it is in the same directory as the game.

user.cfg

Thanks. I've updated my user.cfg and will test it was well :slight_smile:

This is my current user.cfg:

The game seems to ignore 'GameTime.MaxVariableFps' though.

Whats that defaulting for and can you change it ingame?

Just checking, you have also Ayy 8-core processor?

my user.cfg

Render.Dx12Enable 1
Thread.ProcessorCount 16
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 16
RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 0

Changing it ingame works, but I'm to lazy to do that each and every time :smiley: I liked AMD's Radeon Chill in W3 and DX:MD and thought I might as well limit my fps to 50 instead of 60 in order to reduce GPU stress.
I do know that Radeon Chill limits fps dynamicall, but limiting it is the second best option

Yeah, I have a r7 1700X.

I thought ME:A doesn't support DX12, but your user.cfg has Render.DX12Enable 1. What does it do?

Absolutely nothing

That's another issue I have with ME:A. No DX12?! I mean, come on?! DA:I has DX12 support and was released earlier than ME:A....

What does this do?

How many frames it renders ahead and you can workaround some CrossFire/SLI stutters with that, like set it 2-3 and it should be smoother mess

1 Like

I have grown this habit to not trust Frostbite and just set things where I think they should be

That's one of the reasons I like PC gaming in general. There is (in most cases) always some configuration file which can be used to tailor the game to one's individual needs. CDPR has even comments for most options, detailing every setting. For W3 for instance, I disabled garbage collection since I had an old i5 2500k with 24GB RAM. This naturally increased memory usage, but the performance in cities was noticable smoother :-).
Didn't want to derail the thread, but this had to be said and I didn't want to open a new thread for this specific comment either :smiley:

@anon25377527: Do you have Tesselation on default, or AMD optimized? (I've set it to 6x). Since ME:A is a gameworks title it is very Tesselation heavy...

I dont know if amd_ags_x64.dll does shit but thats something what can be downloaded from Ayy and replaced with newer one if there is such thing

1 Like

Both W3 and ME:A are optimized and I havent noted any performance impact from dialing that other than it ruins water :smiley:

I'll have to compare that, but 6x seems fine. I set it to 6x, because I've read that ME:A uses Tesselation on distant objects like mountains and it can be argued if a Tesselation factor of 16 is really needed for that.
W3 uses a factor of up to 32, but only for faces.

I'm just guessing now but I would imagine that having classic 1fps hit

For me setting that HBAO Full -> HBAO is like +5fps
&
Shader Quality High -> Low gives like +10fps

Other settings have too much degenerate effect before they start to actually help performance

According to some benchmarks sites tesselation has a heavier impact on AMD and older Nvidia cards. There is even a +5fps difference between a factor of 6 and 8. I don't know how Fiji performs with Tesselation tasks, but Grenada (3xx) has a harder time than Polaris (4xx).

Trying to figure out how would I set Steam shortcut to ignore origin.exe because overlay goes to it instead whatever Origin game