Mass effect Andromeda

the trilogy had a FEELING
it elicited emotions and you were actually sucked into YOUR Shepard

it had legitimately epic moments and heartfelt scenes

2 Likes

Since I haven't finished the game yet, I can't comment on that. That being said, ME1-3 had way more goosebumps moments than ME:A until now.

1 Like

mass effect 1-2-3 gives me the full service
andromeda hardly gave me a chub

That's why it took me until Saturday night to finish my first playthrough. Every time I loaded up the game, it felt like a chore to click resume. Don't get me wrong, there were some things I enjoyed.

Driving the Nomad on that low-g asteroid was a load of fun, especially with a fully upgraded nomad to use.
Just something about launching it into the air off a hill and getting 45 seconds of airtime was oddly satisfying.

The combat was also absolutely wonderful. They did a great job with the mechanics, and I think that's where they put too much time. This game is supposed to be a story heavy (think the weight of sol) RPG game. The combat is supposed to be good, but I find myself going back to ME1 and playing that instead because I have yet to find a game outside the ME franchise that comes close to that in terms of story quality. (If you know of one, please tell me while the steam sale is still ongoing)

Those games gave me actual feelings. They really did everything just right. The problem with Andromeda is that the "deep" scenes were too forced and the epic scenes were just... a bit lackluster. Like, the final fight felt too repetitive by the last bit, and honestly, it didn't feel creative. I was going in thinking that I would be fighting Archon, but when it didn't happen, I was genuinely disappointed.

honestly,
NOTHING was as epic as ME1
that FIRST scene in front of the citadel council

1 Like

Chills I tell you, CHILLS!

If it weren't the week of the fourth, I'd be starting a playthrough right now. The only problem is that I've got waaay too much stuff going on at the moment to commit another 40 hours a week to playing games. Normally it's 4-5 hours a week for me.

1 Like

I think the reason for many of ME:A issues can be read in the following article:

Even though it hasn't be confirmed for obvious reasons, I do believe it to be true.

What strikes me as really odd, is that Bioware never was a company known for its programmers, but its writers. Still, they decided to try something programming heavy like a prcoeduraly created system, which requires tons of additional programming effort.
Another rather odd/shocking revelation is that apparently both Bioware Montreal and Bioware Edmonton modified the Frostbyte engine such that it had inventory and party support. Somehow, they haven't heard of Git or something like that (maybe I'm missing something and someone can elaborate).
Aside from this, ME:A was in the end very rushed (developing and story wise) wich kind of explains every single issue ME:A has.

Up until now, I don't have this problem with ME:A - I've had it with DA:I though.

2 Likes

That article was a good read, but a lot of it sounded like excuses for not having a clear vision and good leadership.

I didn't see anything saying that they worked separately on this. If they're not known for their programming capabilities, I'm sure they needed a ton of time to get it ready.

Yeah, I'd expect these problems from a new studio, but not Bioware. I'm going to be very skeptical of future releases from them. Should have learned from ME3 and Omega DLC...

It's possible that it wasn't a ME:A thing and more of an "I'm growing out of games" thing, since I don't really play games much anymore in general.

2 Likes

I was referring to this:

But I think I've got it a little wrong the first time I read the article. I thought that this implies that Bioware Montreal and Edmonton edited the remainder of the engine seperately.
Still, I wonder why the article specifically states:

I think a joint development of Bioware M and E would have been more beneficial.

I experience something similar. Everytime I hear something like biggest, vastest,... open world game I immediately imagine myself being bored with tedious chores. (I'm looking at you, AC!)

1 Like

It seems that they were so focused on creating their other intellectual properties that they shafted Andromeda by giving them the B Team

2 Likes

Which, IMO, was a mistake because while DA is a good series, it's nothing compared to ME in terms of following. Andromeda could have been something good. I mean, they had 5 years. ME3 was in a situation where they had to redo most of the game, storywise, in 18 months after that stupid-ass leak.

That would have been the most beneficial outcome, but at this point, I hope they've learned their lesson and can improve for the next game.

Can't say for sure... It's too vague to really make a determination. They probably didn't have in depth information. I would imagine there should have been a lot of crosstalk between the studios. It would have saved a lot of time and money.

2 Likes

It could also be that ME:A broke at some point. Often enough there is a fine line between "it works flawlessly" and "this game is a chore"; especially when it's an open world game.

Did they really do that? I've read it somewhere, but I'm not sure whether or not to believe it. As a true ME fan I didn't read the leak anyway. Why should I? I mean, when going to the cinema to watch a movie I don't read Wikipedia's plot synopsis beforehand. I think Drew Karpyshyn once stated that they had a rough plot for ME3 (as they had for ME2), but both changed considerably while still in development.
That being said, in contrast to many people, I like ME3's ending. I've never played the vanilla cut, only extended cut though.
But I second your opinion concerning ME:A: The should have focused more on the story and the character's, instead of trying their very own No Man's Sky.

1 Like

The leak is still available, but I feel the same way about reading it. It feels wrong to read it, especially considering it would give us information about something that could have been.

Anyways, I'm digging around, trying to find a source for it, but I've been unsuccessful in finding it. The long and short of it (as I remember it) is that someone was mad enough about the leak that they said "screw this story, we're going to rewrite."

I remember something about the leak including some actual gameplay, rather than just the story. 5 year old memories are a bit fuzzy on this topic...

Anyways, My frustration with the that whole ME3 rewrite thing is this:

If you have a leak, that shouldn't make you change your story, especially 18 months from launch (I think it was 14 months from the original set date though). A simple twitter post would suffice. "There has been a leak. We will not be changing our story and urge fans to not preview an unfinshed product to preserve the experience."

I really just have mixed feelings with the ending, but it did feel a bit lackluster, especially compared to ME2. I mean, you take down a fucking human reaper with infantry weapons. How can you top that?! I feel like ME3 fell victim to the Half Life 3 conundrum: No matter how good it is, it can't live up to hype, expectations and legacy.

Agreed. That said, there were some really good moments with some characters and the Ryder family story was very well done. I have to give credit where credit's due. The story in regards to Remnant and Angara was part that I kept looking forward to while playing. It was, while possibly not unique, definitely intriguing.

1 Like

So, to those who have already finished the game. I've finished Voeld and could enter the vault on Aya, if I so desire, or I could go to Havarl instead. Which should I do first? Do both, Voeld and Havarl, lead to different Priority Missions? No Spoilers plz^^

I'm pretty sure they don't lead to different priority missions. I did Voeld first and Havarl was actually the last one that I finished.

Pick as you please; the game world doesn't really care. There might be an ideal route when it comes to avoid some of the hop'ing between systems to complete side quests, but otherwise don't worry about it.

1 Like

I cant leave those undone and doing them just drains everything, its comparable for exploring Skellige sea which I did surprisingly enough manage to leave undone

Ok, good to know :slight_smile:
For ME1-3 I have a perfect playthroughs, but since it's my first time in ME:A I wanted to hear recomendations.

ME:A isn't, from what I can tell, quite as critical on decisions as the OT. You're not going to have any side effects of changing your order up.

Denuvo is removed from the 1.09 version just letting you know.

3 Likes