Marelooke's mess

On behalf of all Nano users I feel compelled to say… that may be somewhat accurate.

6 Likes

Could be for video, Vim/Emacs might confuse viewers. Nano is simple to use and understood by pretty much everyone using any of the other editors.

I know I just run my Emacs locally and ssh to my boxes using Tramp-mode (it’s awesome).

Of course, if that is their main editor… judging glare :wink:

2 Likes

>you don’t have time to not learn Vim
- uncle Unaboomer

1 Like

The worst thing about learning vim is when you type a bunch of garbage into other applications and escape out of them before you realize you’re not in vim anymore.

1 Like

By the way, not sure if you knew, but this forum (discourse) has Vim keybindings.

Only learned enough vi (not vim) to get me around in emergency situations. Like being stuck on AIX…

“Back in the day” I felt I had to pick an editor, decided I wanted to be able to properly edit Fvwm configuration files, noticed there wasn’t anything really up-to-date. Saw Vimscript and decided I was just going to learn Emacs there and then :wink:

As far as I understand Neovim allows for usage of Lua, but we’re a few decades later now, and I’ve long since been corrupted by the Lispnicks.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean, if you’re using emacs that’s something else entirely, but for people who use nano or GUI text editors, learning Vim is really useful IMO.

1 Like

Yeah if you know Emacs, no real point in vim unless you just want to make a big life change.

1 Like

Bit of an odd one, started having a rattling sound on my Sennheiser GSP500s so opened them up to see what got loose. Turns out the glue around the driver (is that the correct word?) came loose so it was flopping around the housing.

Glue looked kinda odd, like it was breaking down.Put it back (there’s a notch for the orientation, thankfully) and glued it back on and it works just fine, but kinda odd that it’d just come loose.

2 Likes

TIL ZFS on Linux supports relatime, which still gives you atime, without most the overhead associated with it.

Relatime, as I understand it, was first introduced in XFS where it is enabled by default on most distros as the overhead is negligible.

To use relatime, both atime and relatime need to be set to on, due to how ZoL implemented it as a separate property rather than extending atime (which was done for compatibility reasons)

3 Likes

Do you want a hmc iso so you can make a virtual hmc?

That would be awesome! Been poking around but haven’t been able to get access so far, and the hardware devices still go for decent money…

Victor Bart, from the “Retro Machines” YouTube channel, appears to be having some major YouTube trouble and is considering canning the computer content. Would be a shame as I’m not aware of that much other channels dedicated to vintage hardware.

1 Like

tell me what version you want… i think i have some of the older cd’s at my office…

1 Like

From what I can gather V9 R2 is the last one to support POWER7, so that one or any older would be great.

1 Like

next time I’ll go in and see what CD i have… I want to say its v7…

i forget which one was the first to say it supported being a virtual HMC, but I know i got even the version before that to work.

I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Well, TrueNAS Scale is out of beta, and they decided to deny access to apt in the release versions.

Can’t argue with them wanting to sell an appliance, but this makes it useless for my purposes, and arguably anyone else’s that doesn’t want to colour within the clearly defines lines drawn by iXsystems.

Bit of a bummer.

3 Likes

So this kind of stuff is a thing in log4j 2.x (not the only instance of this kind of construct):

LoggerContext context = (LoggerContext)LogManager.getContext();

getContext() returns a LoggerContext.
No, the cast is not optional. Just two packages that contain the same class, that are somehow compatible and you usually need the other of the two…

Yeah, my thoughts exactly…

1 Like

What an absolute mess log4j is as a program. If I care about security, I won’t run it.

Now that our solar got installed I was poking at Homeassistant. Have had it installed for a while but not actually done anything with it.

Turns out their DNS setup was broken (by design) for their supervisor component and the devs have been blowing anyone who complained off for the last year or so. Well, someone got fed up and just created a CVE for it. Hopefully that means it’ll get addressed now.

There’s much more comprehensive explanations in the references of the CVE, but the main issues are that it uses Cloudflare both for an “online” test it does every 5min or so, and refuses to install plugins if that fails, as well as hardcoded DNS fallback using DoH (so standard DNS redirect rules don’t work), moreover it will never switch back to the DHCP provided DNS if it fails over, which breaks resolution of internal domains, as well as leaks internal network information to Cloudflare…

On top of that it also doesn’t do any sensible back-off on retries, instead it keeps retrying at the same intervals, flooding the network with requests.

Their reasoning apparently is that the hardcoded fallback saves people incapable of setting up their dhcp/dns properly from not being able to connect. Personally I’d expect the number of people that would actually mess with their dns (rather than using their router’s defaults), and manage to get it wrong, and be capable of configuring Homeassistant to be rather low.

Since this only affects their supervisor component which is not used if you run Homeassistant in Docker I might just switch to that. Will have to rejuggle things in the network as I’ve rather locked down the IOT network, and I don’t want to just plunk my whole Docker host on there.

Or maybe see if there’s any good alternatives out there, have to mess with modbus to read information from the inverters anyway, as there’s current no default integrations for the inverters we have.

4 Likes