Many questions about Threadripper Memoy modes, dies and virtualization

Hello,

I’m very curious on how will the two dies and memory modes affect virtualization. I know you guys are really busy,so I’ll just mark the important question or points with :penguin:
3 penguins are the most important question

:penguin: Before you read any question, I should clarify why I’m getting a 1950X. I will be working a lot in Digital Design but in my free, the only thing I use My Pc for is gaming and I want to make a 21:9 gaming PC and a workstation PC at the same time. My dilemma is that I can’t afford building two PCs even if both cost exactly the same as one Threadripper build and the reason for that is shipping cost. We’re talking 500$+ more to ship components fo two PCs. Now the questions:

I’m kind of new to virtualization but assuming that we have the sixteen cores 1950X, I know it is possible to run two Hexa-cores Windows 10 VMs while assigning four cores to the host but what configuration is best?

1-One full CCX to the host while dividing the rest of the cores to each VMs?
2- Assigning two cores from each die (two of them that utilize XFR) to the host while the rest of the twelve cores to be divided to the two Windows 10 VMs?
3-One core from each CCX to the host while the rest to Win 10 VMs?

Despite the core configuration distribution, what will Windows 10 define the CPU in each VM, a Ryzen 5 1600X or a six core 1950X :sweat_smile: ?!
:penguin: Despite windows 10’s definition, will the performance be identical to a Ryzen 5 1600X (identical IPC) or will it suffer?
:penguin::penguin: Another thing regarding the CPU configuration, what will Ryzen Master see or will it be unusable?
:penguin::penguin::penguin: Also gaming, will I be able to avoid the problems of some games that can’t launch with the 1950X (in creative mode) simply because the Windows 10 VMs will only see six cores knowing that we’re already obligated to use creative mode to power both VMs in the first place?

:penguin: Obviously “Creator Mode” must be chosen to use all sixteen cores, but what memory access mode is best for virtualization it-self, despite the minimal loss in gaming pefomance or in other applications?

:penguin::penguin::penguin: Finally, will I be able to use two entirely different GPU’s for each virtual machine (1080ti for the gaming VM, WX 7100 for the workstation VM) ?

Unlike RAM the CPUs are not taken up by the VM. When assigning say 8GB of RAM to a VM that memory becomes unusable to the host. This is not the case for CPUs.

You can tell the hypervisor which CPU to emulate.

Using Xen as a HV, my windows 7 vm recognizes my CPU as a 6t Ryzen 5 1600.

Virtualization overhead varies with the choice of virtualization (see also Wendell’s article/video on this)

wrt gaming – I would assume so. (Setting affinity to <=6t should do the same thing?)

Hypervisor’s preferences wrt choice of memory mode should be irrelevant.

wrt GPUs – if you have both VMs running at the same time, you may need a small third for the HV.

So something like a gtx 1030 or a gtx 1060?

could you please post some links?

ok, but let’s assume I have a non-x 1950 will XFR be enabled if I emulated a ryzen 5 1600X?

The hypervisor is just a regular program running on your PC and has no more influence on the host’s XFR than say Chrome.

On the guest side there’s no reason to care about this. The VM runs at the host hardware, with the host’s performance. The emulated CPU is relevant only so programs know which instruction set to use and what hardware to optimize for.

yeah, or a rx 550, or any older gcn GPU that can drive your display of choice (eg a r7 250 won’t do 4k60, so if you have a 4k screen that’s not really an option). 1080Ti may give you some trouble passing it through to a VM, though it’s always possible, just a case of fooling the VM.
Link was on fhe front page :wink:https://level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux

So if I emulated a ryzen 5 1600X, games won’t have any problems launching because they’ll only see the CPU as a a six core CPU?

Are there really any games that won’t launch because they see “only” six cores?

Anyway, the hypervisor allows you to choose the number of cores independently of the CPU’s architecture. Here’s VMM’s CPU configuration: The CPU architecture (“configuration”) and core count are completely independent.

There’s nothing to keep you from creating configurations that don’t even exist in reality.

In many reviews, they mention that some games won’t launch because they see 16 cores in (creative mode), hence why I want to run a six core VM

I watched the video.
hmmm, not sure If I want give my money to nvidia anymore :expressionless:

Thank you so much @pFtpr @foppe for answering, really appreciate it.
Just one more question out of curiosity: I know building a hackintosh requires very specific hardware, but is that necessary for a mac VM?

They are rare, but DiRT 4 is one example (Steve had this issue in the TR review/bench).

don’t know anything about hackintoshes, sorry. :slight_smile:

I meant running mac OS as a guest virtual machine.