Manjaro or Tumbleweed?

Title kinda covers it - going to install one or the other. Anyone have thoughts on this? Stability?
Use case is office work and gaming
Hardware is 3800X, X570 master, GTX 1080

Manjaro is definitely great if you wanna game on it.
I have never tested Tumbleweed unfortunately.

1 Like

They’re both fine distros, but they feel different.

OpenSuse’s claim to fame is Yast. You either love it or hate it.
Manjaro’s got package availabilty, and is much loved by people who know what GPU they have.

1 Like

I mean rolling is rolling. You want a master level build system or one click install

2 Likes

I am currently using both.
Both are very good, different but good.
You can’t go wrong with either.

1 Like

I once heard non-Debian based distros didn’t fare too well [edit] for gaming[/edit] because of compatibility and stuff.

For gaming wouldn’t a *buntu be better?

Manjaro is actually great for gaming. Between Kubuntu and Manjaro KDE there is a minimal performance advantage on the Manjaro side but overall both are great. I’ve played Steam stuff on Proton and WoW over Lutris on both systems.

1 Like

I’ve used both Tumbleweed and Manjaro and gamed on both. I personally liked Tumbleweed better, but you can’t go wrong with either. That said, I’ve been having more and more issues with OpenSUSE lately and just removed it from the last system I had running it. And installed the best distro instead.

2 Likes

OpenSuse is bloated; but that means it’s easier to get things such as KVM up…
Manjaro is generally running beta software / newest; OpenSuse is using slightly older; this can reduce compatibility with new hardware but will be more stable…

1 Like

Oh? And what is this fabled ‘best’ distro? :laughing:

1 Like

Oh no, don’t start it please. This could turn into a shitstorm very fast.

haha

There’ll always be the “my distro is better than yours” and “your distro sucks”

clearly hes talking about fedora gentoo. the one true distro of big brained linux users.

1 Like

Damn - i had my money on either Arch or Linux from scratch.

1 Like

Sir, if you could please refrain from using curse words here, this is a christian minecraft server.

STORE.LEVEL1TECHS.COM

I once heard non-Debian based distros didn’t fare too well for gaming

For gaming wouldn’t a *buntu be better?

The package manager itself doesn’t matter all that much, and that’s the only thing that makes Ubuntu “Debian-based” these days. Packages are not interchangable, and the release cadence is different.

That release cadence is the single biggest factor for non-potato Linux gamers. Older hardware is generally fine, but current gen hardware needs a rolling release in order to get new features supported at every level of the graphics stack.

Ubuntu has no rolling release. Ensuring your entire graphics stack is up to date on Ubuntu requires you to upgrade several major system components using third-party repositories which is generally regarded as a Bad Idea™.

It’s absolutely possible to do on Ubuntu, but it’s one of the worst experiences for gamers, IMO. You have to fight with core elements of the system’s design in order to do it.

I have been running Manjaro for the past 6 months on my main system.
It’s been realy good, no problems at all, and pamac makes working with the AUR and updated package builds extremly simple.

I haven’t had a single issue related to updates or instability, and being based on Arch, if you are looking for a piece of software, chances are someone already made it available in the AUR if it is not in the software repos.

I would recommend Manjaro to anyone looking for a good rolling release distro at this point.

1 Like

gentoo

Yeah when steam came out. Doesn’t matter anymore.