Manjaro installation issue with the GUI installation program (Qonos 21.2.4)

Hi
I have been trying to install manjaro XFCE Qonos, the latest version
I have confirmed, that the installation files have gotten to my machine correctly through SHA-1 checksum. I made the installation ISO through balena etcher

I got through the installation, but the GUI installation keeps running into a following issue
I am translating this from the finnish, but the commands should be the same
"
Bootloader could not be installed.
Installation command:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootleader -id=Manjaro --force
returned error code 1"

the actual reading in the finnish insatllation program, just to make it sure
"
Bootloaderia ei voitu asentaa. Asennuskomento

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootleader -id=Manjaro --force
palautti virhekoodin 1"

What you think, should I create a manjaro forum user and ask there?
Any ideas?
This is one of the first times using linux for me, just to let you know
I am installing it onto a asus R515m with a pentium N3450, 8GB of RAM and 240gt kingston A400.

First thought is if you’re new to Linux Manjaro or a Arch distribution might be a bad place to start.

I’ve had similar issues with a few of the Arch based installers where either grub is being set up incorrectly causing the fail (how your disk is set up) or modules for the installer never load.

If you want to go Arch, try Garuda. EndevorOS may be another to try. Comically a lot of these share the same installer yet one works, the other doesn’t. Due to Arch being a rolling release some times you just roll the dice at a bad time for the iso release having an issue.

Back to the disk issue you never said how your disk is set up. Some times the grub fail you are experiencing is because you didn’t actually make a /boot partition separate from the / filesystem. Did you allow the installer to choose the disk layout or did you manually change anything?

I used the installation application, no swap
So, I’d say the issue is with that application
(Booted from live boot USB)

That doesn’t tell me how you set up the disk. ;p

1 Like

Hmm
I ll try to get the info
Since it is the installation application, It does not represent that clearly
I ll copy, what I troubleshooted in the manjaro forum thread, that I just started

Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name  Flags
 1      2097kB  317MB  315MB  fat32              boot, esp
 2      317MB   240GB  240GB  ext4         root

Model: Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 31.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      3529MB  3534MB  4194kB  primary               esp

Well you do have an UEFI boot partition and the disk is gpt so in theory it should have worked. Again try Garuda, Endevor, Chimera and see if they play nice. I know this doesn’t help you if you’re heart is set on Manjaro but it will give you some insight into things.

Another thing you can do is run the installer from a terminal with any/all debug flags and just watch it to see where it goes wrong.

Have you copied this to the forum wrong? Because this command can’t execute, it has errors in it. It is supposed to be --bootloader-id=Manjaro. In case you only made a mistake copying it here, I suggest you indeed make a account on the Manjaro forums. The error code 1 means that the command failed to execute correctly. This will be a big issue for you since grub-install is supposted to install your bootloader. If this command indeed fails, you will be unable to boot into the installation. However I have not particular knowledge about the GUI installer and what the issue might be.

I suspect the installer has a broken command, pretty hard to typo a paste :wink: “bootleader” heh. Hence why I suggest he try some of the other Arch distros with EZ installers.

1 Like

Yeah, most likely I made a typo

Althought, not a screenshot, the best I can do

Althought, I did decide to try the cinnamon mint,
And that installed without any issues, and no installation issues with installer
Thank you