Man to launch himself in homemade rocket to prove earth is flat

Well, he launched (Saturday)… and lives to tell the tale.

Well shit.

3 Likes

So… He got to 1800 feet or so. Why not just drive up the Yosemite? Much higher and you can get there by car.

2 Likes

Because that is too easy.

Also no word on whether the earth is flat or round. I am assuming he couldn’t tell.

1 Like

Maybe he was scared shitless and was too afraid to open his eyes.

2 Likes

Oooh nice one.

2 Likes

Man succeeds in acomplishing nothing and now wants to be governor.

The best part is the quote calling everyone who doubts the flat earth part and his effors “nuts”

“My story really is incredible,” Mr Hughes said. “It’s got a bunch of storylines — the garage-built thing. I’m an older guy. It’s out in the middle of nowhere, plus the Flat Earth. The problem is it brings out all the nuts also, people questioning everything. It’s the downside of all this.” His future plans are simple: Fill out the paperwork to run for governor. “This is no joke,” Mr Hughes said. “I want to do it.”

Dude launches two half assed steam rockets and now he thinks he can run for government.

People are free to think the earth is flat, as long as they do not have influence over others. That is what NDT talks about quite often.

2 Likes

I think he’ll fit in quite well with government :wink:

But really… guy’s a nutjob, seems a bit narcissistic when he says:

I don’t think that the person who the story is about is the right one to make the determination. What is incredible, I suppose, is that he lived to tell the tale (no matter how pointless the tale actually is).

But I agree:

1 Like

Did this guy just want to see the Great A’tuin?

I miss PTerry… :frowning:

1 Like

Lighting is the first thing I think of when someone mentions a flat earth.

We can deduce the existence of a global earth almost entirely by the physics of light.

Related:

That’s why I would like social media to die. So much problems and shits have beenncreated because of attention seeking, opinion, and instant news without fact checking. Or at least they rebecome crappy like in the Myspace era, so it’s only useful to stay in touch with people.

1 Like

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this.

I do agree that they have the right to think anything they please. The thing I am getting at is he is not pleased with people thinking he is crazy. So rather than be level headed about the whole thing now he has tried twice he just pulls a childish remark about everyone being nuts for not agreeing. Not even an attempt at reasonable discourse.

But I can see why he would feel that way with the abuse the flat earthers get. This just does not help that and likely garners more backlash rather than debate.

That looks like something Master Chief just blew up…

1 Like

What sticks out most to me about this story is the failure of this guy’s science and critical thinking.

If he really believed in a flat earth and wanted to make a meaningful scientific observation himself… There are so many much cheaper and safer ways he could do this. My conclusion is that he isn’t doing this to prove anything about flat earth, he is doing this for attention / entertainment and to feel important.

Radical conspiracy believers are so adamant because the alternative is admitting that they aren’t special. Before even launching, it’s obvious to everyone that his method offers the least amount of scientific data while gathering the largest amount of attention.

1. Buy a plane ticket over the Atlantic / Pacific.
  2. Use a high-elev weather balloon.
  3. Put a high precision tilt sensor / accelerometer on a cart and measure across a long straight metal beam. (this is literally enough to measure the curved gravity field).
  4. Take pictures of ultra tall radio towers from variable distances and watch the horizon rise up between you.
  5. Heck, you could even do something fancy/tedious with how much your relative daytime offsets as you traverse different longitude lines.
1 Like

But but but… Where did you learn this? Mathematics is taught by schools, schools are run by the government and the government wants to convince you the world is spherical!!! It is all a Consipracy! Of course the maths checks out they made it up to work right!!!

/s

2 Likes

There is even an easier way then those listed…microwaves travel far and fast and STRAIGHT, just like light. microwave transmitter on one side of some 400 mile distance and a microwave reciever on the other side. If its a match its flat… if not we got some curvature.

1 Like

Light, and presumably microwaves, will be affected by gravity.

Yeah, although that is fairly minor. Diffraction will be greater, as seen by watching what happens to the sun during sunset/sunrise.

An easy thing you could do would be to measure distances in the northern and southern hemisphere. Flat heads can coordinate this however they like. Get a flat map, find two distances that are equal, and go out and measure them in real life. The bigger the better. Distance across a state, or over an hours drive etc. Measure how ever you like.

1 Like