Man to launch himself in homemade rocket to prove earth is flat

I thought energy was an integral of Force over an amount of distance.

Yes you would have to travel faster than light if the earth had been constantly accelerating upward at 9.8m/s² for 6000 years.

years * days * hours * minutes * seconds * acceleration = current speed in meters/second (assuming V0 = 0 m/s)
6000 * 365.25 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 9.8 = 1,855,586,880,000 m/s
c = 299,792,458 m/s

So our current speed would be 1,855,586,880,000 / 299,792,458 = 6,189.57 times the speed of light.

4 Likes

Law of physics, a object will stay in his state unless there is a force applied onto him. Aka the earth cannot gain acceleration by itslef, only maintain a constant speed. You need an outside force to make it accelerate.

2 Likes

nevermind

What ?

Why only 6000 years ? Also space is not ideal vacuum so there will be a terminal velocity which will be dependable from where in the universe we are at the moment.
However yes constant acceleration is really not possible.

1 Like

You’re mixing two things. The sun can be seen as an object, but the reactions and fusions happening inside it that are the forces. But still even if you encounter a flat earther that held those view, it doesn’t solve the next problem which is we would be WAY over the speed of light.

because duh everybody know that the big bang is fake news and that god created the earth and the universe 6000 years ago :wink:

1 Like

I was using young earth creationism as an example because they propose the youngest age for the earth. Or at least, that I’m aware of. Maybe there’s some Last Tuesday-ists out there?

Oh yes, it’s totally unfeasable, for numerous reasons. The whole theory of relativity thing for one. But that was my point really, to explain to the person I was talking to back then that to suggest the earth is accelerating upward and has been for thousands of years, you have to reject pretty much almost all of accepted science.

1 Like

Oh well we won’t be seeing an Fe Pancake… is that an iron pancake or fool pancake idek.

1 Like

But the issue there is one who may think the earth is flat would be ready to dismiss all accepted science

Yes. While using a computer. Which is just hilarious.

Edit: To clarify, I kind of enjoy having these people explain their stone cold fuck nuts worldviews to me, but I don’t expect to be able to, or even attempt to, change their mind. Spent too much time arguing with creationists back on usenet back in the day, I learned that that’s just not going to happen.

Went through that also.

More relevant viewing.

2 Likes

<3 Rebecca Watson. I agree with her completely here. It’s useless to debate them, and I was sad when Bill Nye agreed to debate Ken Ham, the only thing that did was legitimise Ken Ham’s nonsense.

Are you saying we could fly before it was decided the earth was a ball? Interesting.

Ugh the scientific illiteracy these days in some people.
Why can’t we live in a society where everyone is educated to a good standard, and are able to make well reasoned arguments and objective assessments of things around them?

How do we fix these people? And people like Ken Ham? What can we use to satisfy people’s desire to be a special and part of some exclusive woke club?

Is it getting better over time? Or is it just the same, and now idiots like this have more exposure?

I dunno, I have a strong desire to leave this planet some times.

I think a better question is to ask why it makes people so irate to hear someone propose a FE? Why not listen, consider, disprove, and move on? Who cares if one conspiracy nut hurts himself in a rocket?

3 Likes

I’m annoyed because we, as a species, should be past this point hundreds of years ago.

1 Like

Because we live in a society where it is considered impolite to question peoples’ politics and/or religion (all too often, they are one and the same). Case in point, this particular sub-discussion on this thread has to end right about here because of forum policy.

1 Like

Mutations are needed for the evolution.

They really don’t need fixing we should just do our best to not let the whole world follow them.

Conspiracy theorist existed as long as there where written stories. The thing is back then they were not sure for a fact that someone was correct or incorrect so it wasn’t making a big deal.
In late 60 are the first stories I personally have read in newspapers that I now know they were conspiracy maniacs.
So no its not getting better over time they just get easier exposure from the internet.

So you want to be from the tribe that left this planet ? Well well they want the same thing, kinda … They want to be a part of a tribe that cares for them. That’s why they stick to a somewhat small tribe.

( I am not judging you I am a part of a tribe too, actually of few but one of them that we both have in common is LevelOneTechs :slight_smile: )

You can read more in “Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging” by Sebastian Junger.

So you just ignored the link to the wikipedia article about the flat earth myth that I provided in my comment?

Okay…