Man adds functioning headphone jack into iPhone 7

I know people tend to buy iPhones due to their software maintenance through the years but Google seems it might change how software updates are handled with android Oreo, so instead of having to push the software update along vendor info, everything will be delivered separate making it more streamlined and efficient reducing the size of every update. And now that Oreo has the feature to install updates on the background it should be pretty good to see if major companies like Samsung and LG start doing something with their updates.

1 Like

I have a feeling it’ll be useless considering that companies like Samsung and LG and such are adamant on installing useless apps, silly skins and adding features that most folks don’t even know how to use. Samsung is definitely the worst offender. by the time they’re done there’s probably a new iteration of Android already. Also security patches, haven’t seen any company outside Google keep up with those

Nokia

Probably typical of the people who take their phone to a shop to get it repaired?

Still, Apple gear has better manufacturer support. I’ll grant that. I have had a few galaxy phones, and they are better at releasing security updates now, but they typically lag behind in major OS releases by a year or so.

I also notice you mention privacy and security reasons for not using Apple. Can you elaborate on this? Apple seems to care about this stuff more than most, although they do place themselves as the man in the middle. But they sort of have to for the integration. Is there someone who does this better?

Finally on the video, He did a great job and really saw it through. I would have lost interest after pulling the first phone apart and wrecking it, like I do with many projects. My only criticism is it looks like you cannot charge the device and use the headphones jack at the same time. A different adapter might allow this. This is a feature I use all the time while I listen to podcasts while I go to sleep with the phone charging over night.

What i meant was that they either read false shit on the internet and get false expectations(without verifying it first), or they just outright have no idea what device is what or how to describe it beyond vague descriptions. It’s caused prroblems in the past where they cant describe anything right and we end up doing something else and then they get pissed at us.

My primary concern is lack of control over privacy. While yes, Apple has definitely increased the security overall, they still don’t give much control of it to the users. Sure theres a few settings that can toggle certain things on/off but i have no idea ifd they actually do anything, and i can’t block/disable/uninstall the underlying icloud core features. On android, i typically root my phone, then install a firewall along with xprivacy and this does the job pretty well and you get much finer controls over what apps can and cant do. Also whole-phone adblocking. I can’t live without it now. As of now my update cycle basically follows that of Xposed. Once it works on nougat, then i upgrade to nougat. Until them im on marshmellow. While it seems counter intuitive, many vulnerabilities exist because certain apps are allowed internet connection. Not really as big of a problem if i just block all non-critical apps from the internet entirely. No reason why “contacts” or “camera” or “lock screen” need to have permissions to access internet.

You can actually. The flex cable he made has the ability to both charge and play audio at the same time.
Basically the flex cable is just a glorified lightning port splitter, with one side permanently soldered on as an external DAC.

Hmm I must have misinterpreted what he said. It sounded like he added in a USB switch. Instead he must have added a hub or something. Ah well. Still a good effort!

Does your rooted phone pass the adroid security checks, so you can do tap and go payments etc? That is about the only thing preventing me running custom firmware these days. Don’t want to be walking around with a botnet in my pocket!

Mine doesn’t, but thats because i didnt set it up with that in mind. I actually got rid of the payment option entirely. My banking a[pp has its own instance is tap payment in it, but it also fails security check so it refuses to work. Maybe one day i’ll redo everything. I believe there is a way to actually get it rooted and xposed while still maintaining payment option. Personally i instead setup my wallet for tap instead. Its a bi-fold wallet. One face is credit, other face is debit. I don’t feel comfy without a wallet in my right pocket.

1 Like

They interviewed him on The New Screen Savers this weekend.

Timestamped to 17m 3s, ends at 35m 36s

17 weeks? hundreds of dollars in broken parts…That’s way too much effort to put a jack into a phone. Just buy Nokia with good camera for half the price and call it a day.

1 Like

Nintendo even challenged their ass on the word “Courage”

Apple is a company runned on pseudohipster mindset. They pretend they are doing something special and out of the box when really they don’t often actually do and when they do go “out of the box”, they end up doing something backwards or stupid.

1 Like