Man adds functioning headphone jack into iPhone 7

It’s pretty amazing that even this guy was capable of adding a fully functioning headphone jack to an iphone 7 even though apple didn’t bother doing so. While the method is a bit crude, it does work perfectly and you can still charge the iphone at the same time. He even open sourced the flexible board design used to make this happen.

Thoughts? any iphone 7 owners brave enough to attempt this?

4 Likes

Now this is truly courageous. Fuck Apple those pussies.

4 Likes

this guy needs to make more videos, his first one making an iphone from scratch was very entertaining and shows how the phone market in china doesnt fuck around like we do lol

3 Likes

Saw this yesterday. I thought it was bloody excellent.

If one man could achieve this in a couple of months, why could Apple not?
I know they likely wanted to remove it for something like “form over function”.

Anyway good on him and I hope this encourages people to take back their devices.

Because the apple earbuds sold for 40 bucks and the Airpods sold for 150 bucks. Also dongles, another 30 bucks.

Seriously Apple fanboys/girls have to be the most brainwashed sheep to not see how pants shittingly awful that company is.

7 Likes

Apple: *stuffs two cameras (on one side) into one phone*
“Oh uuhhh one of the simplest things to add takes up too much space lol, sry”

Totally believable

2 Likes

“courage”

4 Likes

They didn’t want to have to water proof the headphone jack, and they knew they could sell those stupid wireless ear pods and other expensive accessories if they removed it.

Provide less, charge more to make it function.

Personally I think that if you need a headphone jack just go and buy any other phone. The LG v30 will come with one and have a DAC included so… I don’t see any reason to pass on it

1 Like

I’ve worked in an apple repair shop for a few years so i know the insides of these devices quite well, and i’ve also had lots of time to talk with customers about their lives with apple stuff and their opinions on it. Here are my findings:

1. Theyre very simple devices to use. Many android phones, especially older models, tend to have many more software problems which cant easily be fixed because of manufacturers lol-no-updates practices.Older non-stock sytems became buggy as fuck later in life. After speaking to a number of people, i’ve concluded that 90% dont know what theyre talking about or dont care. A surprising number of people couldn’t even tell me what generation of iphone they had. Many of them also referred to Android based phones as “samsungs”. Many folks are completely ignorant to technology, young and old, by accident or by choice. All they know is that iphones are simpler to use and theyre willing to spend hundreads extra to avoid dealing with new unknown tech stuff.
2: While apples reputation is questionable, one thing almost no one can deny is the level of integration all their devices have. If youre the type of person with an ipad, a few macs and more iphones in the family, leaving the ecosystem can be hard. I found this applies to many families, its very useful for tracking kids as well. Tonnes of people have icloud locked themselves out because of terrible password habits, but they still go back into the system and start over (aeven after losing a few products). They just need the integration.
3: They hold their value. Good luck selling that LG V30 for more than $300 after just 3 years of use. You can get a lot more money back from your apple devices by simply selling it off to the peasants at a high price. People know this even though they dont even know how many cameras an iphone has.

Personally, i cant use iphones, primarily due to lack of privacy and security options built in, but i understand why people flock to those devices. They genuinely do “Just Werk™”. Until they break, because when they break then thney tend to break in royally shitty ways.

Many people complained about the headphone jack thing, but they still went out and bought it because they eventually reconciled with the idea of buying new headphones. They dealt with the Apple schlong just to have the ease of use, ecosystem integration, status symbol benefits and high resale value.

The hedphone jack problem really does have no good tehnical reason for it apart from money. While it does have some benefits, such as external DAC’s being better than the internal DAC, you do sacrifice many things for it. Its not a waterproofing issue like @behindthetimesgamer said, waterproofed parts only cost marginally more than non-waterproofed ones and adding 1-2 more gsakets doesnt cost much either, and these iphones actually have a lot more space inside them than one might think. They haven’t really changed the overall layout since the iphone 5 days, and even that still had some room in it.

I applaud that youtuber for doing what he did. His content is amazing and it really is a very cool mod.

Fun Fact: The capacities in Apple batteries has only increased by about 400mah over the last decade (not coumnting the Plus model phones). I dont know what company makes their batteries but for their size, theyre always close to 60% of the capacity of a similarly sized competitor battery. Also they fail very easily. iPhone 6 batteries have started failing a lot more recently from what i’ve seen, even more than the iphone 5S batteries.

3 Likes

I have never paid for an apple product and never will. That being said if I had an apple phone I’d be more than willing to ether drop it into a shredder or to rip it apart and try installing stuff in it.

2 Likes

I once replaced the failing battery in a 4th generation iPod Touch with an 18650 cell with more than double the old battery’s original capacity, wired through the speaker grill and stuck to the outside of the bump case it had. That thing lasted forever. The battery made a good kickstand for portait mode too. Shame it looked a bit like a bomb…

4 Likes

You could always say its just a clock that you built entirely by yourself

5 Likes

I have a response for that that I’m not gonna make because it might upset some people and I’ve already sent us off the rails.

It didn’t look that much like a bomb tbh. Everything was clad in black shrink tubing, including the battery, and the case was black as well. Just looked like a severely distended iPod.

1 Like

So wait, the iPhone 7 is actually thick enough to support the 3.5mm jack? And they decided to omit it to introduce other, useless functionality? Wow, what a surprise!

3 Likes

with a bit of chopping and sanding, there is enough space yes

No, no, no, they ditched the jack to be COURAGEOUS

Jokes aside, if they threw in a second lightning or USB C port, I would be fine with killing off the headphone jack. However, by having only one port, it really kneecaps the usefulness

+1, it’s pure business to the stretch of being unhealthy.

“Everyone and their TV commercial wants you to believe that the key to a good life is a nicer job, or a more rugged car, or a prettier girlfriend, or a hot tub with an inflatable pool for the kids. The world is constantly telling you that the path to a better life is more, more, more—buy more, own more, make more, fuck more, be more. You are constantly bombarded with messages to give a fuck about everything, all the time. Give a fuck about a new TV. Give a fuck about having a better vacation than your coworkers. Give a fuck about buying that new lawn ornament. Give a fuck about having the right kind of selfie stick. Why? My guess: because giving a fuck about more stuff is good for business. And while there’s nothing wrong with good business, the problem is that giving too many fucks is bad for your mental health. It causes you to become overly attached to the superficial and fake, to dedicate your life to chasing a mirage of happiness and satisfaction. The key to a good life is not giving a fuck about more; it’s giving a fuck about less, giving a fuck about only what is true and immediate and important.”

From ‘The subtle art of not giving a fuck’, great book, much recommend.

2 Likes

Most really smart people dont take time to make youtube videos of what they do so this is a gem.

1 Like

Yeah I’m getting an LG V20 because its on sale and I’ll still be ahead of apple in 5 years.

But on the video, yeah I love this guy he’s awesome.