Making the move (would love some pointers)

Ubuntu is fine to be honest. If you stay with the big three: Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu there is a ton of documentation and have actual companies that use and develop for them

You shouldn’t have much in the way on issues with a NUC since Intel targets Linux with it and most of their drivers are in the kernel.

not sure this will run well on a NUC (if you mean guild wars 2)

GW1 should be fine though

Haven’t got into GW2 at all. GW1 gets a nice 60+ fps in 90% of the areas, drops to 30 or so when theres a big mob and lots of stuff on screen. I’m happy with that (would prefer 60+ all times but you know) plus the size of the nuc i love it.

Thanks for the replies peoples, Im going Ubuntu 18.0.4.1. I’m just about to make the move.

word, gw1 should be fine. I reccomend using playonlinux to keep things tidy

I’ve got a character that im still trying to get through the prophecies ascension campaign and its hard to find other players

amazing that game still runs though

1 Like

Completely agree with you on that one. I’ve just spent the last 18 months away from the game after getting the last PvE title on there.

The only things I am doing on my computer at the moment is playing RuneScape and guild wars and the general browsing, music and videos and the such.

So it’s a relief knowing that I can get everything I need on Ubuntu and cut out windows

in terms of music players, rhythmbox is nice. Has Pane sorting and a search interface that doesn’t break the criteria when you play a song

and you can’t go wrong with mpv for video.

definitely do the /home partition separation though

1 Like

That’s definitely true. I was trying to politely say that Ubuntu has stability problems, in my experience, that other distros don’t have.

1 Like

we all know where this line of discussion leads

I’ll never like the “ubuntu is good for newcomers” rule of thumb, but discussing why is one of the fastest ways to get a thread locked on here.

I’m up and running on ubuntu, like i say i’ll cross problems when i get to them.

First problem (first world problem) how do i get the dpi on my razer abyssus up o_0

Settings > Devices > Displays in gnome settings

should be a hidpi option

Thanks for that one. Hate it when the mouse is so slow