Making a laptop dock for Samsung phones with Dex

I do almost everything on my phone since it’s very powerfull and always on me, but I recently started learning about Web development, and trying to do that without a keyboard isn’t something I even wanted to try, but I remembered playing with Dex on my phone and liking it quit a bit, so I checked the Play Store for programing app, and was surpised that I had a few options. I gave a couple a try and the first impressions wern’t too bad, so here we are. I’m planning on making laptop dock for my phone.

TL;DR: I use my phone for everything, and after this I’ll be able to use it for web dev on the go (hopefully).

I’m just getting started, but I’ve gathered a few things for this build already (screen, keyboard, USB C dongle with HDMI, USB C, USB 3).

I’ve taken the screen apart and there’s lots of room to slim it down, and now I have an idea of what I’m working with.

Notice that conveniently long ribbon cable. I’ll be able to put the monitor controller in the base if I want.

If I remove those jacks other then HDMI that board will get a fair bit slimmer.

Could have gotten a bigger keyboard. I think I’d like a usb one better anyways, so I might have to get a different one.

I made this post on this setup.

8 Likes

I require more updates now!

1 Like

Lol. That’s what this thread is for. I’ll post about it as I go.

1 Like

What is the display the you are using?

Kinda looks like it is from one of those portable DVD players. But at the same time no, as it is too big.

Nah, I got it off Amazon. It’s a 11.6" 1920x1080, but unfortunately it has a very matte screen, so even though it’s sharp (for the size) it looks soft.

I kinda wish I went with a 13" 1440p screen for $50 more, but I’m satisfied with this one.

3 Likes

Now to go through my 18650s and look into safely charging them while still being able to use the laptop dock.

Also going to look into decent speakers and a small amp to power them. I don’t mind if it gets a little thick.

Edit: I also have a laptop fan to keep the phone cooler. It gets pretty warm when you use it like this.

5 Likes

FTFY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qhtA_34aY&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

Same here.
I tried the Samsung dex in store and was surprised how good it was.

2 Likes

Yep, but we just need a way to actually use it on the go. No one is going to carry around a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to use it. lol

I’m suprised Samsung hasn’t done this by now, especially since Razor did.

1 Like

I ordered a few things Thursday (well Friday @ like 1am)

3 cell battery charge controllers. These can charge while in use, which is surprising uncommon with these DIY boards.

Mini buck converters. These very efficiently drop power down to a set voltage. 5 & 4.2 volts in my case.

Buck boost converters. These keeps the power at a set voltage no matter the voltage input (within spec). I’ll use this to keep the battery voltage to the display @ 12v. I’ll also use it on the charger input so I can use any power adapter from 5-32v to charge it.

I also played around with different speakers. I think I’m going to use one of these.

The laptop speakers are actually very good for their sizes, but they still can’t compare with the Bluetooth speaker.

Look at it go though.
SmartSelect_20181222-114109_Video%20Player

The Bluetooth speakers are probably to thick. :cry:

But those magnets
SmartSelect_20181221-134351_Gallery
Man I love small powerful speakers.

I also started making basic shapes in Solid Works (I’ll share when I have a few parts done) to represent my parts, which will help me design the laptop chassis.

6 Likes

I got in all the stuff I ordered.

Also got in a small amp, but I forgot to take a picture. I’m thinking it’s too inefficient for this anyway. It puts out a fair amount of heat. I’m thinking I’m going to use the circuit board out of a decent portable speaker.

I solder up a battery charge controller to test with, but I ran out of time to do anything with it.

I also ripped the portable monitor back apart, and managed to get the screen out without cracking it despite the overly generous application of adhesive. Now it’s got fingerprints all over it.

Nice and thin.

I made an 18650 battery, battery charge controller, buck converter, and the screen in SolidWorks.
Still need to make the buck boost converter, screen controller board, speakers, screen hinges, keyboard, USB type-c dongle, and the phone. I also need to finish the fan. I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff, but that should be the more important stuff.

Oh, and I’ve decided to go with the laptop speakers.

2 Likes