Return to Level1Techs.com

Making a "gaming" virtual machine

Hey, first of all, I want to say thank you to everyone that reads this.

I want to switch to Linux but I have a fair bit of games that I can’t run on Linux ex: Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, Dead by Daylight, etc. What I want to do is to run the games that work nativley on Linux or works with Proton or Lutris on Linux and for the games that don’t work on Linux at all use a windows 10 VM. From what I understand I need to passthrough my GPU. But from what I saw I can’t use the GPU for Host even when I am not running my VM.

Also, some resources on virtualization would be appreciated.

P.S.: I was planning to use Manjaro but I am not fixed on that.

Here is a commonly used wiki article from arch linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Prerequisites

Manjaro is the path of least resistance to arch linux. I use Manjaro for this.

I’d say a second GPU and sometimes another USB pcie card is really the easiest way of doing this, but it depends on your hardware and IOMMU groups.

Thank you for your answer, but I still want to know if while I don’t have the VM turned on I can use my primary GPU on the Host? I don’t have any USB PCI-E card but I was wondering if using a dedicated ethernet card for my VM will help. Also, I was wandering if there will be any problems if I use my iGPU or shoud I go with a secondary dedicated GPU.

If your iGPU is good enough for the games you play, you can use it and pass the dedicated one through. Since I don’t think that this is the case, You should go with two cards. For Linux I suggest getting a (used) 470/480/570/580 since they are quite enough for most games at 1080p. And cheap AF.

Are we talking Intel or AMD for the CPU?

I have an I5 7600k. I think I will go with this setup: CPU: i5 7600k and GPU: 1x RX580(host) and 1x RX550(guest)

Sounds like a doable plan. I suggest disabling the iGPU in that case. While it is possible to utilize it, it’s more pain getting it working correctly than it’s worth. At least from my experience. But maybe someone more proficient with that can chime in.

Noooo. What should I do?

Does your motherboard have separate IOMMU settings to enable? If not, ACS override might be a consideration. Let me check if I can find the article about that…

EDIT1: typo
EDIT2: Intel VT-d enabled?
EDIT3: Found it! Hope this helps, as a last resort: https://heiko-sieger.info/iommu-groups-what-you-need-to-consider/

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 36 hours unless flagged)