Mainboard recommendation without "with Overclock Slow VM under Linux" restriction

Good Morning together!

Last Year i had following Problem: Very slow Windows Performance in VM

Very slow and stuttering Performance of Windows VMs under Linux with libvirt/kvm/qemu if the CPU is overclocked. Thankfully the one and only Mastermind @wendell himself knew this problem and said me he saw this problem only with ASUS Mainboards for Threadripper. And he was right. After i undone the overclock, everything works like a charm.

But now i want to buy a new (used) Mainboard for the Threadripper 2990wx i planning to upgrade to.

Since 20 Years, i only had ASUS Mainboards. But now i want something another, without this “Slow VM Bug”.

It would be a pleasure to get some recommendations.

Thankfully,

luna.

Edit: i forgot to mention that i must have enough PCI Slots for 3 GPUs and 1 10Gbit Lan card.

Not sure who makes the best TR boards, I have the Taichi x399m and havent had any issues, but im not doing anything fancy on it. What are you needs / goals with the system?

Stability. Good Powerdelivery for Overclocking (i would overclock the wx2990 to 3.9-4.0Ghz all cores). And that the Mainboard dont have the mentioned bug.

Nice to have would be, if a Watermonoblock exist for Watercooling for the Mainboard.

i use this System 90% the Time for Virtualisation (Mostly Windows with PCI Passthrough). And compiling AUR Packages, Kernel, and other Stuff. And at weekend sometimes to convert Videos with Handbrake.

need more then 4 ram slots? (Doesnt seem to be any other then taichi m and would skip that for your needs, so pointless question)

Yeah. Would be nice. Acutally i have 8x8Gig Ram. Quad Channel Configuration.

not looking good for mono block

weird

Ahh EOL would probably look for this block and if you can find it probably go with that since you want mono

Yeah this monoblock i have actually on my Asus zenith extreme. I dont know if another Block Manufacture have monoblocks. But that dont is a must have. I could live with a normal Block and buy vrm waterblocks as addition.

not really something they make anymore sadly. x99 was like that last time they did that, pretty much mono block or bust now

Ah ok. i forgot to mention that i must have enough PCI Slots for 3 GPUs and 1 10Gbit Lan card. I edit the first post.

Edit: In Germany the VRM Blocks still exist: https://www.caseking.de/raijintek-vwb-c1-vrm-wasserkuehler-universal-wahe-097.html (i live in germany)

1 Like

ahh the old universal style ones, was talking more the custom designed ones like this

If you are cool with the universal style ones would just go that route as doesnt limit you

Can you find an MSI X399 Meg used for a decent price?

Yes. Quicksearch between 300-400€

pretty sure that was like the top tier board, you should be able to do triple gpu + 10gb on that (depending on case

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.