Made a password reset disk but it doesn't work

I already made a password reset disk with USB to reset the login password of my ThinkPad X1C. The problem is that when I inserted the disk but nothing happened after booting.

I changed the boot settings and set USB as the first boot media. What is the problem in here?

What version of the OS are you trying to reset the password on, and have you tried booting the CD off of another computer to ensure that's it not the media?

• AK

Theres a one size fits all password reset disk:

https://www.kali.org/

Probably not the answer you're looking for but I've used "chntpw" with success in the past when locked out of a machine.

EDIT: Looks like you can just use this:

1 Like

Definitely encouraging this; I would've recommended it in my first post, but figured I'd help him troubleshoot first. Though using "chntpw" is the best tool, especially it's easy enough to get in any nearly any Linux distro if you don't want to have a CD dedicated to just that.

• AK
1 Like

I actually have no idea how to use a password reset disk. I've never made one. Always just used chntpw.

1 Like

Making a password reset disk has always seemed like a bad idea to me, because it's a piece proprietary software/tool kit and I'd like to know what exactly is going on when I aim to grab a client's password for reset.

• AK

It is Windows 10 64 bit. I download and install chntpw, but i can't find any account. I booted the disk from another computer running Windows 7, it worked fine. so weird. Tried another program and bypass the password with the app. Make sure UEFI is disabled during boot.

You wat

1 Like

intense shaking aneurysm intensifies cuckety cuckety cuck

First and foremost, to make sure we are on the same page, you downloaded and burned chntpw to either a flash drive or CD. Second, there is sometimes a bit of issue with the program as it can't always identify users, but I believe if you use the command it will list users and with the -u you can reset the password that way. Also, you may have the ability of activating the built-in Administrator account to reset it that way. If you have any more questions, just keep posting, we're here to help!

• AK

I used chntpw, but it keeps saying "not table found"!

Which Linux distribution are you booting from, and can you post the output of the command when you run it in the terminal? Either in a text block coding, or screenshot?