MacOS images, if they work on both x86 and arm

Hi, I work for a computer repair store we mostly work with windows PC’s and laptops but every now and then we get Macs. I don’t work on the macs our one tech does as he is more familiar with them but we recently got into debate about if we had a M1 mac come in for repair could we use our x86 mac for the disc image (MacOS disc image) for a format reload for example. What I am asking is will the X86 macOS image work for the M1 mac or will just just get rejected?

sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer.

My guess would be that No, it wouldn’t even work. I say this because ARM is a technically different architecture, and when the M1 chips came out the app devs had to rewrite code to make it compatible.

that’s exactly my argument but he says that apple develops it differently and it has that apple magic, “it just works” but I am extremely skeptical though.

Easy fix then. Buy a refurb M1 unit from Apple, and tell him to try installing the standard x86 MacOS on it. Dollars to donuts it doesn’t work.

1 Like

I think I just going to wait until we get a m1 in shop and just bet him a coffee before we test it. The shop’s owner would never invest in something like that, he is very tightfisted.

1 Like

but thanks so much for your help

Coffee? Dream big son, go for that steak dinner!

4 Likes

Actually, it may work. We all know MSFT creates different images for different architectures, but Apple may just bundle everything in the same image since they have to have Rosetta there anyway.