Macbook pro slow network file transfers

Hi all,

I’ve been tooling around on a mac book pro…and the network transfer speeds are abysmal between freenas and the mac. The transfer starts out well, stops, and then either continues or errors out. I have heard tell that this is related to finder. I have tried 1Gbps, 10Gbps and the wireless adapters in testing.

I tried smb, nfs and afp. The only thing that kinda worked was webdav? I only have a mac sample of one, and it’s my first. I’m not sure if this is “normal”, or if I have a dud (it’s a free one take your shot :wink:)?

I have been all over the web. I have tried everything from disabling the security signing for smb on the mac to making sure the smb share on freenas had the fruit vfs tag. I finally had to give up and find a work around.

I am using vmware fusion pro and did a local disk share to the guest. I then added the file shares to the guest. I am getting 200Mbs. I’m not sure what to rule out, but it’s WAAAY better than I get from native mac. I have read that it may have something to do with the way finder works and/or their implementation of SMB.

I have watched a few videos where people use QNAP with a network via thunderbolt3 in a DAS fashion. That seems to work ok. This is another item I am considering to back items up, and then rsync the files to
the main freenas server. If anyone has tried a thunderbolt3 DAS type connection, I would be interested in your feedback.

For now, I am sticking to the vmware stop gap measure. I hope there is a mac native solution that I’ve missed, or maybe my laptop is a dud and I need to contact support. I’m hoping there’s an alternative I’ve missed. I’m not afraid of command line, but I’ve yet to configure SSH and file transfer over it. If it could work, I will give it a try.

Open to other suggestions as well, and more experienced mac folks as I am completely new and have a sample of 1.

What speeds are you getting, and what are the disks in your freenas box. And what is your network equipment?

I have a mac with freenas and have not (yet?) seen this issue…

Are you perhaps copying image/video files to a finder window showing the folder on the NAS? it could possibly be that the mac is then trying to generate previews of the content if you have a view that displays previews… which would chew bandwidth…

Does activity monitor show heavy network traffic when it slows down, or does that drop off?

The mac as i understand it does do some tcp window optimisation that maybe the nic driver in your freenas box might not do, or have issues with. I forget the name of the tech but it was new in one of the recent releases.

Running wireshark on teh mac might help, once the transfer slows/stalls - as you’ll be able to see any framing errors or retransmits, etc. in the dump

Hi thro,

I appreciate the review and second opinion.

• Speed
    – MAC to x1 FreeNAS: Moving Win10 Iso ~200Mbps. It stopped part way through for a few seconds and then resumed.
    – Win10 VM on MAC to x2 FreeNAS: Moving data between two FreeNAS servers Peak ~ 380Mbps
    – Win10 PC to x2 FreeNAS: Moving data between two FreeNAS servers Peak ~450Mbps

• Disks
    – FreeNAS(A): x4 WD Gold 10 TB in Raid 10
    – FreeNAS(B): x7 WD Red 4 TB in RaidZ2
    – MAC: NVMe

• Network
    – Netgear 10Gbe switch
    – FreeNAS(A): Intel 10Gbe NIC
    – FreeNAS(B): Intel 10Gbe NIC
    – OWS Thunderbolt 10Gbe adapter

• Copying
    – I am moving: media, ISOs, executables - all kinds of stuff.
    – When the file transfer pauses, network traffic is reduced to a crawl.

• Update
    – I found an article that mentions turning off .DS_Stor. It seems to be helping thus far with larger media movements.
    – If the above helps, I will try turning packet signing back on, as I to travel to governed (secured) networks with my laptop.

supposedly there is a method to turn off all the meta data mac writes to net work shares doing this helps a whole lot … ill look for the appropriate forum posts .

step 3 in the following.

and i think this is the one i was looking for …

http://www.debugginlife.com/solved-very-slow-file-transfer-on-mac-shares-smbafp/

1 Like

Hey I believe this is a bug in FreeNAS. It should be fixed in the next update that rolls out, if it’s the one I’m thinking of.

Can you check netstat -p tcp -s | fgrep 'discarded due' to see if that is going up while you experience performance degradation?

Thanks!

I’ve been doing some more testing. And things seem to be going okay. I’ve even managed to get Time Machine working on SMB.

I will do some more checking on file transfers. I have a couple shares that seem to be working, but permissions seem to be off.

I’ll reporting in when I have some more data points.

Well, I’m dumb. I thought you meant run the command on my Mac, but now that I see the output on FreeNAS it makes sense. Mac had no issues; however my FreeNAS box gave me:

[root@atlas ~]# netstat -p tcp -s | fgrep ‘discarded due’
3255875 discarded due to memory problems
[root@atlas ~]# netstat -p tcp -s | fgrep ‘discarded due’
3256709 discarded due to memory problems
[root@atlas ~]#

Update** 9:18 @ 10:22 PM
So my network connection nuked all mounted shares after it wonked out and stopped. I would then receive:

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Media_Files” can’t be found.

It seems that doing command & k and connecting via IP allowed me to get my mounts back.

1 Like

@freqlabs would you happen to have a link to issue you’re thinking of? I want to keep an eyeball on it.

As it happens, I was able to get a confirmed 1st (for me) Time Machine backup over SMB on FreeNAS. I haven’t tried to use it, and I’m also using a HGST USB 3.0 drive for a secondary Time Machine backup. Why am I so crazy about backups - working on a PhD, and I will NOT be a lost research statistic. Additionally, I will be looking at BackBlaze or similar: belt, suspenders and some duct tape!

35%20PM

What versions of freenas and macOS?

If it’s a bug, you should just roll back until there is a fix.

Here is some good info on optimizing 10 GbE:

The fix for the issue is easy, just add a tunable (sysctl or loader) to set net.inet.tcp.reass.maxqueuelen=1436 for now. That should be unnecessary after the next update.

@oO.o

First, thank you for the Jumbo Frames configuration tutorial. It’s on the list, but I’m not to the performance tuning stage yet. I have a few other things to nail down first.

FreeNAS is a fresh install on a new box. The build gives me better VM/Container performance. Further, my backup (archival) box has an older version of FreeNAS and also has the same issue.

I’m new to Apple, so I wasn’t sure if that was common behavior for Mac and FreeNAS.

If this is a known bug that’s being worked on per @freqlabs statement, then my VMware Fusion Pro work around will hold me over until then. Otherwise, more investigation into Mac and FreeNAS, or possible alternatives will be the next step.

FreeNAS (main): FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1
FreeNAS(backup): FreeNAS-11.1-U6
MBP 2018: 10.14.2

@freqlabs

Thanks! I’ll give that a try when I have some time. It’s really odd that Windows is fine on the SAME hardware with out any configuration change.

The issue is with how FreeNAS is tuned to handle out-of-order or lost TCP segments, and my suspicion is that macOS tends to reorder segments in its stack more, for some reason. This should be perfectly valid, and the issue there is definitely with the conservative tuning of FreeNAS. A better default tuning has been committed to fix the performance regression.

I have Macs getting 900+ Mb/s to an SSD array over AFP. Freenas is a recent, but not latest version of 11.1. So poor performance isn’t inherent to Macs. SMB has always been more problematic though.

The problem may, in fact, be caused by the MacBook Update problem. You can do one thing, i,e, update the MacBook and then restart the system. If it is not satisfactory, then reset the Windows following the steps given on macbook pro won’t turn on and get a better service from the system.