Macbook Pro choosing what to get inside Help

Hi im trying to find a Macbook Pro For MUSIC Production. 

what would be the better option?

1st option: 

MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch 

• 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
  • This is my problem ---> Only 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage 

OR

2nd Option:

MacBook Pro without Retina.

• 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  •  Maxed out is 8GB  8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB 
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW

Get the first option. You're really gonna want the extra RAM and the SSD. Plus the display is much much nicer. 

Just get a cheap USB 3 or Thunderbolt (lol that isn't cheap) external HDD. 

Or ya know just get an Asus Zenbook.... Or some of the tons of other Windows options....

alright thanks.

Yea the first option, like DerKrieger said, you can always get a decent external hdd. I have a 256gb in my macbook pro, just want all your main programs, the rest can be transferred over.

And 5400rpm.... smh apple. Guess they can't cool a 7200.

ok thanks.

Honestly you could save yourself some money and go for an i5, 8gb of Ram and 256GB flash storage if you are just doing music production. You could get a similarly specd Macbook Air and that would give you a few more hours of battery life and save yourself a few more pennies, although the Macbook Pro I/O and display is really nice. I have no problem running Windows and BSD in VM's whilst using remote desktop to control servers as well as having about 4 or 5 basic apps open on 8GB of ram and an i5.

You might tear your hair out if you buy a 1k laptop that has a lagging 5400rpm hard drive. I work with Macs and it takes about 3 to 4 times as long to complete tasks and to boot up on machines that have 5400rpm hdd's compared to the flash storage. FYI, the 256GB flash storage is quicker than the 128GB variety.

Hope this helps.

If you don't mind a little DIY, I have a non-retina macbook pro that has had the hdd replaced with an ssd, the ram upgraded to 8gb and the superdrive replaced with a 1tb hdd 

I'd do the maths to work out if its worth the price and time over getting the pre-built retina model

Only possible issue would be the screen resolution, but personally, for a 13 inch laptop, i'm fine with the 1280x800 resolution. 

I bought the non retina macbook a few weeks ago off of eBay for $550, the baseline model though. But for $300 more I will be upgrading to a 500GB ssd and 16 GB of ram. And the screen is good enough for a little web developer as myself. But the only reason to get the retina is for better battery, slightly beefier processor and Thunderbolt 2. And the screen is beautiful on both models. Just be prepared to run safari because chrome will destroy your battery life.

LIES

Anything Apple + music will eat RAM. I use Logic Pro X for some of my stuff and even bouncing a 10 minute track will freeze my Laptop. I have an i7, but the RAM is a must have.

What software and hardware are you planning on using?

+1 for the 1st option. More RAM is the best option. The smaller SSD option can be remedied with an external thunderbolt drive. Also get an adapter for Thunderbolt to HDMI for a larger second external monitor.

@ipat8

I think you need a jump to conclusions mat - I'm talking about Audio hardware and software. The comp hardware is in the post and can go without saying.

Plus, I wasn't asking you, so why guess and act like you know what you're talking about?