Mac vs. PC For Video Editing?

I've a little bit interested in video editing lately and I would like to know which intermediate codec is the best to use. I've heard a lot about the Apple ProRes codec and how good it is. Usually I hear that it "beats all other windows equivalents". 

I just wanted to know what the alternatives were for the Windows platform when it comes to these codecs. 

Also is Mac truly just plain better for video editing than a PC? I've heard a lot of people saying that they are for many different reasons. Some of them being that the Final Cut software is the hands-down best video editing software and that Macs have certain agreements and optimizations for Adobe software that make the lack of very powerful hardware obsolete.

Are these things actually true or is it just fanboys telling me this?

And please. NO fanboy responses. I don't want to hear an argument about "Macs are better than Windows!" or vice versa. I want honest information. Thank you.

Premiere Pro CC does support and export prores.

I've never used final cut,so no comment on that.

Premiere Pro is available on both platform,so...I can work the same way on both platforms.

It doesn't really matter tbh. There is no piece of software that runs better on a mac. There is, however, software that works better in an OSX environment and that is "exclusive" to macs. The simple solution: Build a hackintosh with your desired specs, run OSX, save tons of money. Any PC that runs OSX is a mac, the hardware that apple uses is nothing special. Macs = PCs.

Is there anything particularly better about ProRes than other Intermediate codecs?

Definitely a hackintosh for single PC allround video work. The quality difference is not a myth. The performance difference isn't either.

If you're looking at very complex video editing techniques like CGI, that require a lot of power to be thrown at it and create absurd big files, you might want to look at a linux machine, but for more generic video work, OSX offers more user friendly applications and easier access to all kinds of proprietary codecs. Example: there are a bunch of plug-ins for Premiere and Final Cut, that can make editing more efficient, and those are not always available on linux systems. If you're going to supersize the video creation effort though, especially if you scale up beyond the power of a single PC for the rendering, definitely go for linux. Cluster rendering, distributed computing, upscaling opencl loads, very high speed PCIe SSD caching, etc... if you want any of that, and you'll know when you need it, and you want it to work, that's linux-only territory.

Windows is the worst platform for video editing ever, there is a lot of performance lowering overhead (archaic slow file systems, RAM cap, DirectX, bad drivers, time consuming updates, fragmenting storage behaviour, performance killing background processes, constant malware checking, etc...), and the video quality is limited (certainly when using acceleration technology, which really ruins the video rendering quality in Windows, basically, CPU rendering is the only option for acceptable quality in Windows, and the maximum quality is lower than on other platforms, so a double loss factor).

A hackintosh is an easy way to get more performance in OSX for a smaller price than buying Apple hardware. OSX is cheap, costs only 19.99 to 29.99 USD, compared to Windows, that quite a huge saving because you'll need a machine with a lot of RAM, which would mean buying a Windows Pro license, and those are very expensive. OSX also keeps you focused, it isn't anywhere near the chaotic clickfest that is Windows 8, and it just works better in every way (faster disk access because of more modern file formats, easier and better backup solutions, network backup and storage access functionality to work directly on NAS storage for instance, etc... all things that are really important for video editing). One thing though: the Apple OSX license states that it can only be used on machines that bear the Apple logo, so in order to use OSX legally on a hackintosh, you have to put an Apple sticker on it (sounds childish, but that's the way Apple's lawyers have put it in the EULA).

So I have questions, what is your intended workflow? What do you plan to shoot with? Where do you plan to export to? The hardest part about making a recommendation to you is that you want to know which platform is better for a workflow that you don't specify.

From my own experience if you're going to do fine on either system. Sure there are some software that are exclusive to either platform, but they're just small tweaks instead of the bigger building blocks like which NLE to go with. If you're working on a PC now you'll be fine with trail of Premiere CC to have access to ProRes, and its probably best that you explore editing on your current rig and see if this is something you want to do. No point in building a machine to explore an interest you may lose.