M.2 vs m.2 nvme drives?

I am asking which do your prefer out of the two?

to

I've always heard Samsung or Intel are the best for SSD drives.

Samsung

• Faster

WD

• Cheaper
  • Longer Warranty

After buying an NVMe SSD a couple months ago myself, I'd rather go cheaper. In 90% of situations I simply can't tell the difference between the NVMe SSD and a decent SATA SSD.

Also, WD bought Sandisk, so WD and Sandisk SSDs are pretty much the same thing at the moment.

I can't speak for M.2 or nvme, I'm still running a Samsung 840 evo SATA ssd without any issues. Personally when it comes to ssds I just buy whatever has the most GBs for least money.

525GB for 149$:

3 Likes

I actually already have this ssd for games, now I am looking for a boot one and one for applications.

as far as I'm aware, WD doesn't make NAND flash memory or SSD controllers, so the WD drive is most likely a rebadge using components made by other companies (Micron, Intel, Samsung, Hynix, Marvell, Phison, etc). I don't know how reliable is since it's usually years before SSDs start showing signs of failure, but if it were me I would probably get the Samsung drive.

Having said that, as @ivailo said, you can get 500GB SATA SSDs for significantly less money, and for programs (unless you're loading huge, huge files) a SATA SSD will work just fine. In games and load times for your OS, you won't really notice the difference. If i had to go with an M.2, I'd get the samsung. If I had the option of adding another SATA drive, I would most likely go with the Micron drive he suggested.

I would go for the 960 EVO, but if you want cheaper NVME, go with the Intel 600p, it's near SATA prices. Slower than the 960 EVO, but still snappier and faster than my previous 850 EVO.

1 Like

If you want nvme I would take the Intel 600p over that WD any day which is just a rebranded SanDisk iirc

1 Like

960 Evo all day. The controller is better, the manufacture is better, and I'd bet my ass it will run a lot cooler. Samsung is the top tier M.2 maker right now, no contest. The 960 series is one of the only M.2's that won't thermal throttle, due to Samsung's far superior controller and thermal management. The sticker on the 960 series actually works as a heatsink, aiding the drive in keeping cool. The WD is using 15nm non-3d TLC Nand, while the 960 evo is using vertically stacked 3d tlc. The endurance disparity is shocking, despite the lower 960's shorter warranty, because of the superior thermals and superior NAND flash in the 960.

The 600p is not a SanDisk rebrand, its an intel customized silicon motion controller using Intel's own 3D TLC flavor.

The wd is, sorry if I wasn't clear, will edit
Yup, auto correct got me again.

I believe the Intel has slightly lower performance but still beats out sata ౩

Thank you for all your responses. I would be using this m.2 for applications and vmware. I have a crucial MX300 500gb one already for games and currently a boot device. I want a seperate ssd for boot and im out of sata ports because I have 4 hdd and one bluray drive and a ssd.

2 Likes