M.2 card for Librem 5

So, I’ve run into an interesting situation. I backed the Librem 5, and am currently waiting for shipping/modem selection. However, there’s now a new aspect for me that I don’t know much about: figuring out which M.2 card to use with the wireless networks.

I want to know:

• What do I look for? How do I figure out which bands it supports (so I can make sure it will connect with T-Mobile, for example)?

• Are there any particular manufacturers to look for? Avoid?

• How much should one of these cost? I’ve already paid ~600USD for a phone. I want to make sure I’m not paying more than I have to for an expansion card.

Any and all guidance in this arena would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note, I really like the solution of putting the WiFi and Wireless Network on expansion cards. I’m hoping (but not expecting) for it to catch on with other phones.

From what i read on the Preorder Page, it comes with an m.2 modem, doesn’t it?

It does. There are two options to choose from (Gemalto PLS8 or Broadmobi BM818). And while I could flip a coin and go with that, I’d rather make an informed choice.

You make a fair point though. I’ll start with a search of those and see what comes up.

How do I figure out which bands it supports (so I can make sure it will connect with T-Mobile, for example)?

Spectrum allocations depend on the technology used and the country you’re in. T-Mobile will use different bands in different regions, but multiple bands are supported.

Assuming you’re using T-Mobile in the US, LTE is supported on B2, B4, B12, B66 and B71. In my experience with T-Mobile, at least one of these bands is available anywhere that’s included in their international coverage map.

Judging by the model numbers of both chipsets and the supported bands, I think the -E models are aimed at European customers, and the -US and -A models are aimed at North American customers.

That would suggest the BM818-A1 would be better for use in the USA on T-Mobile.

Sources:
List of bands in use in USA by T-Mobile
List of bands supported by Librem 5 modems