Lutris issues

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with Lutris, that is once I run Wine steam all is good, except once the main window shows the store page is blank and stays like that.

I had a look online for a solution but it seems nothing has worked.

There isn’t one. Wine just does that.

Then how can I play windows games without proton? It worked before on the previous os version pop os 19.04

You set up games on the linux client then open your library page on the windows client?

The game library does not even show, but I changed it to a custom steam location and it shows games in the download section, but it’s not downloading anything at all.

Huh. Thats strange. Theres an hkey setting you can change but I don’t remember the whole string off the top of my head.

Hkey_local_machine something something and you change the boolean value, or if it doesn’t have it you create it. Been a looooong time since I had to do that tho.

Could also be the wine version or sobething blockitg html render in the config. Add wininet and http to the package lists in the winecfg app thru lutris and see if that helps.

The other thing about lutris is you can sync it to your steam account and not have to use the steam client at all, which is what I do. For that you need to set up an account on the website then sign in to steam through the lutris site.

There had been some developments on my end, I managed to get steam to download the updates in the client.

I’m near to solving this, I just need the rock smith realtone adapter to show under the alsa input list.

Then perhaps get the games heading to show under the library section.

Since your description isn’t very descriptive I’m going to guess what you were trying to do:

1. Install the WINE-Steam runner
  2. started the WINE-Steam runner
  3. tried installing games from there

Long story short:
Do not do that.

What you would want to do is searching the games in the Lutris search (or their website, doesn’t matter) and hit install from there, even for steam games.

Yes it sounds strange, but that’s the right way. CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework, the “Browser” used for the Steam Store) just doesn’t work properly under WINE, so the Steam Store is boned with it. When you install a steam game via Lutris it just passes a command-line argument to directly install a game, circumventing the whole store part of steam.

In addition to that, when installing through Lutris it will also set various settings that might not already be covered by steam (it’s rare, but it happens).

If you want to shop for games, start the native Steam client and do it there, that’ll work just fine.

Thanks for your help,

I did that originally but still had a lot of problems such as.

1. Lutris always gets stuck on the Installing game data.
  2. Steam wants to download the game (rather than use the one that’s installed on another drive)
  3. After logging in when the main window opens, the cinnamon desktop crashes
  4. The game reports there is no internet connection
  5. The games tab is missing under library (Not to much of a problem since I am using Lutris)
  6. Updates not downloading for steam games
  7. Input device would not show under ALSA for the specific game
  8. The store tab does not load at all and shows a blank page.

Fortunately I have almost got it to work properly except for the store page.

To be honest outside of 1. and maaaayyybbbeee 2. you got a whole lot of problems that aren’t even related to Lutris.

1. AFAIK it will stay at that until it receives notice from steam that it’s done, or until steam is exited
  2. you should be able to select the directory to install to in the Steam Dialogue that opens when installing the game. When you select a game, it should find it’s already installed (you may need to add that drive as a steam directory in the steam settings, I never messed with that)
  3. Which main Window? Of what? Lutris? Steam? The game (also which one?)?
  4. Sounds more like a network configuration issue because Lutris doesn’t do anything with the network, it just passes on arguments to WINE.
  5. You mean in Steam? That tab should never be “missing”, even when nothing is installed it should list you the games you bought
  6. Might be configuration of the steam client, haven’t fiddled with that tho
  7. Again - which game? Also ALSA can be a bitch to begin with, but it worked OOTB for every game I tried so far (no steam games tho)
  8. and it never will, see above

/edit
I just tried winesteam (for the first time actually) and man, it’s rough, but I think it’s related to the new client… just opening up crashes something in the background constantly… so maybe that’s the cause of the issues. I was still thinking of the old client which was fairly stable.

Thanks for your reply and input!

1. Steam
  2. I forgot to mention none of the tabs work, they all blank
  3. In this case Rocksmith 2014 remastered edition

Next thing I like to do is reduce the audio latency

Mh yeah IDK about Cinnamon Crashing, that seems a little extreme…

But yeah, from the 5 minute testing I just did I can say that the tabs tend to only work after sacrificing your first born so… yeah. Seems the new client is not exactly WINE-friendly.

As for Audio latency, from what I know you basically need a custom built Kernel for that. There’s a few people on the Lutris Discord that have this running for OSU, so you might wanna ask there. And while you’re at it you could also ask about the other issues you’re having.

Ok thanks, where can I find the link to the discord??

it’s in the footer of their website: