Lunduke Project Update 01 | Level One Techs

Lunduke's Evil Linux-Powered Puppet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZHD-_JuMw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/lunduke-project-update-01
12 Likes

Didn't some one on our side of things come up with something similar to what Lunduke showed. He has a puppet that looks like him instead of an animal tho which is what was floated as an idea here.

Hmmmmmm................ Makes me wonder if we helped the enemy. "Loose lips sinks ships".

Animatronics are cool. But I think he could easily be outdone. It's not like he is doing Jurassic Park or Anything along those lines.

Binary newsgroups? What could possibly go wrong?

I'm interested in helping, but this is really bad timing. I'm extremely busy this month. :/

My advice is to definitely go python on this project. It's significantly faster to develop than most other languages.

I'll tell ya what. If you get something started, I may be able to submit a few feature pull requests. Post the github link when code arrives.

4 Likes

Maybe another cool idea would be to actually modify the modem such that you can hook up an unmodified modem and use that to actually dial into the preservation-bbs, rather then just pretend to dial.
Either way, cool idea!

I like this idea, now I can't say that it's a winner. I don't know how the people that are going to judge this, will view the merits of this.Preserving some history and making it so that people can interact with it again, now that is something that I support completely. Some might think this is just a novelty, but I would argue that an animatronic puppet has already been done.

Personally I think this is cooler than the puppet. I would like to help too.

1 Like

I mean, it's kinda neat, but I don't think it can compete with the insane silliness of Lunduke's puppet. The modem just isn't flashy enough, I think. Maybe a system where the data you want to send and receive is represented by colored marbles? Like, black and white marbles, for 0 and 1, 8 marbles are a byte and you can build a small shelf for them to fit into rows. Then you snap a picture of them and translate it back into binary. As soon as you snap the picture the marbles are released back into a bin where some kind of hopper separates them back into black and white to be fed back into the system. Not sure what kind of data rate you could achieve with that and I don't think you'll have enough time to actually build something like that, but something along those lines would be really cool I think…just something that let's people actually see the machine work from the outside.

1 Like

I love this project. I'm also super happy to see you and Jason Scott working together.

Anyone can make a puppet. Only Super Heroes save Internet History

1 Like

@wendell, are you by any chance familiar with Joey Hess's olduse.net? This project strongly reminds me of that project, and could possibly feature a similar time-dilation effect.

1 Like

great idea !, @wendell if you add a coffee machine to this project it will be better, i think the sequence should look like this: the modem goes trough the noises of connect and handshake ect. while the coffee starts for a fresh cup

that picture is pure nostalgia for me, i must have consumed gallons of coffee when i was waiting.
i am not familiar with bbs emulation, but a idea pop't into my head during the video,
can you turn a single bbs into a single virtual machine, you can then launch that vm during the connect and handshake noise

i hope it works i would love to sse people get moody while they have to wait for the modem again, again and again

The modem dictating to the coffee pot to make the coffee would be mind blowing. Like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs crazy.

@wendell Awesome idea. I love this tech history stuff. I've never used a BBS, but I have a software background and free time. I know you said you might not find anything for someone in my position could do, but if that changes you let us know!

A L1 BBS would be great. I actually looked and have my old modems. I'll check out some BBS emulator software. Anybody know which ones are good/better?

Hello, @wendell.

I for one do like the Hayes idea.

I do not know any "BBS Emulation Software", but I do know some BBSes which you can run painlessly
even on modern systems, one of those is Mystic.

Another idea which comes to mind is a BBS relay: Several active BBSes have telnet/ssh in addition to numbers.
You could make dialing the numbers in the virtual modem broker the data between the telnet connection and the serial.

I have done a very basic modem emulation project before, although for a different purpose. Maybe I can clean it up or help program a similar thing from scratch with you? I would be very happy to help.

I'll take a look at the archived BBS data, maybe I'll have to report more.

Calling @FaunCB, master of the BBS.

The fuck you want bitch

HA! it worked!

Any thoughts on bringing back some of the old BBS? I know you had the L1BBS for a while, just thought you'd be one of the more qualified to consult on this one.

What he's looking to do is make a box that you "log in" to its bbs and you can look at the pages in the gormat and readspeed it was originally intended as. As for running an actual BBS I'm the one that does that around here. Certainly do some. bs stuff as you can!

That would be neat if the old users were still posting. AgoraNet is the most active public fuck around one now with 100 or so subs. If the old guys weren't dead and willing to share shit I dunno then.

1 Like

Thats it the BBS is going back up tonight.

4 Likes